Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pasting song links in playlist no longer works (Are you kidding me?!)

Solved!

Pasting song links in playlist no longer works (Are you kidding me?!)

We already know about the scandalous lack of a sorting option in the Spotify app. But I had a work around for this, which was to sort the songs in the Spotify app for OS X, cut them all out with CMD+X and then paste them again with CMD+V.

In the latest release, it's no longer possible to paste them. The cutting worked fine, but I couldn't paste the songs back into the playlist. Now I emptied an entire playlist, without the possibility to add the songs back.

It's absolutely beyond me, why Spotify would remove this feature, but keep the cutting tracks out. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @MarianneWBow and welcome to the community.

Don't worry the feature is always there and have just been extended 🙂

in order :
1 - right click playlist name or song name or album name.
2 - select "share"
3 - it opens a small pop-up with icons

share.jpg

4 - click what you want use :
- URI = copy Spotify URI
- Copy Link to Clipboard = Copy Spotify Link
- </> = copy embed code
- Other icons are explicit for guiding you where sharing (the Spotify Link).
5 - When you have selected what you want, just "paste it" where you want it to, as you were doing before.

6 - When you are done : if you got a blue message at the top of the app, close it and if you still see the icons just left click in any empty space to remove it.

spotify:track:7szpKYPzy8CbS9cIs2VeRg

Hope that will help 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@MarianneWBow

Nothing to feel embarrassed for.

We are there to help when it needs 🙂

Keep listening and listening and listening 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star

View solution in original post

25 Replies

I have the same problem on Windows desktop.  I used to copy the tracks into an outside randomizing function, then paste the random tracks back into Spotify.  In the current version, I've tried both the "copy track link" and the "copy Spotify URL," but I can't get either one to produce information that will paste tracks back into Spotify.

Same problem on Windows, can not find a workaround as of yet and it is very dissapointing

I was in contact with support about this and they said it should be working. Of course, it's absurd for me to contact support about a problem I'm having with the workaround for ANOTHER problem with the software, but nonetheless: They claim it's suppose to work, and we never really got down to what could be wrong.

Sometimes it works for me, most of the times not. There is one playlist that it never works with. Even if I try to paste all those songs into a new playlist. But then there are other playlists, with more songs, that I can copy and paste if I'd like it — Sometimes. So obviously this is a bug, not a decision from Spotify to take the feature out.

mrcolonist, thanks for looking into this and contacting support.  My tests indicate this is still not working.  I am assuming the function to use is "copy Spotify URI," as the "copy track link" gives you a link that opens Spotify in a browser

Using "copy Spotify URI," the only way I could get the links to paste back into a playlist is if I put them in Notepad and do NOTHING to them.  If I do anything at all, merely change the position of a song, then nothing pastes back.

I also tried what I used to to with most of my playlists -- copied the links into the "random.org" list randomizer.  After randomizing, these do not paste back as they always used to.

Update -- this is almost fixed.  I still have trouble if the Playlist contains any local tracks.  In my short initial testing, it appears to be working now for non-local tracks.

Agreed - does not work for local tracks. The format I am trying to paste is like

spotify:local:Aretha+Franklin:Bring+It+on+Home%3A+Black+America+Sings+Sam+Cooke:Good+Times:127

or 

http://open.spotify.com/local/Aretha%20Franklin/Bring%20It%20on%20Home%3A%20Black%20America%20Sings%...

Neither format works now. Both formats used to work.

There is no 'right click' option to paste tracks after cleaning up duplicates, but the keyboard shortcut for paste (Ctrl+V) worked in the Windows desktop app.

I share my playlists on various sites (ie: forum role playing sites) but suddenly I cannot get them and it tells me it saves it on my clipboard. Seriously? Why was this feature ended. I have been a customer of Spotify for years and now it's no longer available?

You guy must not need my money cause I can make playlists on youtube for free. Yes they have commecials but I can live with that. And I'll keep my $9.99 a month/$119.00 a year to myself.

Thanks for nothing, Spoitify! 😞

Marked as solution

Hello @MarianneWBow and welcome to the community.

Don't worry the feature is always there and have just been extended 🙂

in order :
1 - right click playlist name or song name or album name.
2 - select "share"
3 - it opens a small pop-up with icons

share.jpg

4 - click what you want use :
- URI = copy Spotify URI
- Copy Link to Clipboard = Copy Spotify Link
- </> = copy embed code
- Other icons are explicit for guiding you where sharing (the Spotify Link).
5 - When you have selected what you want, just "paste it" where you want it to, as you were doing before.

6 - When you are done : if you got a blue message at the top of the app, close it and if you still see the icons just left click in any empty space to remove it.

spotify:track:7szpKYPzy8CbS9cIs2VeRg

Hope that will help 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star

Oh man, do I feel embarrassednow. That worked perfectly.

You can see how passionate I am about Spotify. I just love it and listen nearly everyday to it.

Thank you so much for your help.

Marked as solution

@MarianneWBow

Nothing to feel embarrassed for.

We are there to help when it needs 🙂

Keep listening and listening and listening 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star

First time trying. Have a solution!!! Just tried and works!! Was a fluke that I figured out.

If u have an existing playlist you want to randomize in the actual playlist do the following.

1. Hightlight 1 song in the playlist.

2. Left click Edit and click on 'Select All'

3. Right click on one of the songs and select 'Share'

4. Click on Copy Song Links

3. Go to web and type in Textmechanic.com

4. Paste your list into the Textmechanic window.

5. Click on random. Do this several times to really randomize the song list.

6. Select all and copy.

7. You have two options in Spotify. I do option 'A'

A. Go into the playlist in Spotify u copied and delete all of the songs accept for ONE            SONG. Won't work if you do not have any songs in playlist yet. You then go to Edit          and select Paste.

B. Create a new playlist. Place ONE song in it and then go to Edit and select Paste.

Sorry but this simply does not work.  I have a list of track URL's from a playlist but can not find a way to copy them into a new playlist.  I had copied them out to randomize them because spotify continues to fail to have a randomize all feature.  

Have to have at least one song in a playlist before u paste in. There is no ability to paste if there is not at least a song already in the existing play list u want to paste into. Hope this helps. 

Hello @bkstober

Welcome to the community,  Sorry to hear about your problem.

Here is a simple way to do what you seem to expect:

1 - In the playlist you work on : select all the tracks you want copy ==> CTRL/CMD + C

2 - Open any Text Editor : paste your selection ==> CTRL/CMD + V

3 - In the Text Editor, Move randomly any line the way you want

4 - Once it's done : select all the tracks

5 - Open an empty playlist : Paste your selection ==> CTRL/CMD + V

6 - It's done you have a new playlist with original tracks in a random order.

Note : This has been tested and done many times in the Spotify Desktop under Windows. But I guess it works the same on Mac

Good luck 🙂

spotify:track:2XvrtH6BIVyCr6tLhOvIAt:small

SoundofusSpotify Star

Hi, thanks for your response, simply doesn't work. See my other response
on this thread, which has a notepad file of my track url's attached (as a
jpeg). I've tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of Spotify with no
success.

Edit CTRL-V not working.

Thanks, Yeah tried that, doesn't work. See my other response on this
thread for more details.

So I've done some testing and I can take an existing playlist, cut out the tracks into Notepad, select them all there copy them and then paste them back into the now-empty playlist.  Works fine.  COuld it be that because my favorites tracks were albums, thatcopy / paste of albums doesn't work? 

So this doesn't work : paste of "https://open.spotify.com/track/6U6pzv1OmytAtbYujDLMmM?si=YD0QMz_WTkuIQfkH4b9KDA" but this does work : "https://open.spotify.com/track/6U6pzv1OmytAtbYujDLMmM" .  One song is added in this later case. 

I think the community should know this with regards to randomization, because playlist constructed from albums can not be randomized in the manner described above. Would love to find a work around because otehrwise I've got roughly 1500 albums to individually cut and paste to recreate this play list.  

Suggested posts