Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist in alphabetical order.

Solved!

Playlist in alphabetical order.

Is it possible to arrangere the artists I have in my play lists alphabetically. Because of streaming music from Spotify pausing all the time, I have to play off line. The play list is getting extremely long, and it is difficult to find a particular artist.
148 Replies

It looks like the request for enabling alphabetizing playlists has been requested for over a year. Will this happen any time soon?

The lack of this feature is really starting to annoy me now. I don't want a work around, not interested in that, I want the feature.

How difficult can it be?! ...and as for it breaking drag and drop, work around it.

I currently PAY for this and have done for a few years... Sony Music Unlimited is starting to tempt me.

Please sort it our Spotify.

How many playlists do you have?

Come on Spotify! I'm surprised this feature havn't been implemented yet, what's the problem?

@radiuz wrote:
Come on Spotify! I'm surprised this feature havn't been implemented yet, what's the problem?

By first name or last name?

I would prefer by first name or even better, let the user decide.

I agree. You should be able to order the playlists /  artists as desired. Something like....

1. Sort by Firstname

2. Sort by Lastname

3. Sort by last played

4. Sort by times played (popularity)

5. Sort by last updated

Dragging and dropping does not make sense for the average user who has a lot of playlists.

sweden_uk wrote:

1. Sort by Firstname
2. Sort by Lastname

OK, first word, last word.  What if you'd like some by Last Name and some by band's name?  If you suggest that I rename the playlists, sorry, when you create a new playlist in Spotify for a bunch of tracks by any given artist, and you look at the default playlist name you're given, now you've just introduced a NEW workaround, since the playlist is going to have to renamed.  Frequently.

3. Sort by last played
4. Sort by times played (popularity)
5. Sort by last updated

OK, that would be nice, not necessary, but useful for some I guess

Dragging and dropping does not make sense for the average user who has a lot of playlists.

What is average?  More than 500?  All of  my 500+ playlists, mostly Artist Discographies, have been dragged into proper alphabetical order and in genre folders and subfolders .  Band names by the band's name and solo artists by the surname.  It really doesn't take all that long.  Have you actually tried it?

Be careful what you wish for.  I 100% guarantee that whatever method were to be implemented, there will be a sizable percentage who's not going to be happy.  And a lot of "me too" posts in the forum when the complaint threads start.

And if in the process, they remove the present method that works is the most flexible requires no new coding, no new workaround, and that everyone is accustomed to....  And if you've been around Spotify for a year or more, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

sweden_uk wrote:

You should be able to order the playlists / artists as desired.

And the current system in place allows you to do exactly that.  Status quo.  Don't break it if it doesn't need fixing.

Why is this such a difficult request? I find myself deleting playlists that I don't listen to as often just so my playlist is easier to navigate but I'd prefer not to have to do that! 

I`m wondering the same, one of the most basic functions and should be a given in my opinion. I can`t imagine the reason is because of technical difficulties but rather them refusing to add this function for some strange reason.

Can anyone from Spotify clarify why the difficulty?

My guess is this is just a "low priority feature" in the eyes of Spotify.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have over 2000 playlists based on albums, genres, longer, shorter, artists, themes, etc. On my phone, I can sort playlists by alphabetical order and I can filter them by keyword. Why not provide the option of "sort" and "filter" for playlists on the PC? You have a right to not use the option, but why defend Spotify's decision to not provide an option on the PC that is provided on the mobile version? How does that help you? How does having the choice to sort and filter playlists hurt you? There are thousands of posters on this website begging for these options.

Exactly!

No, that is not what the user is talking about. The person is talking about being able to "Sort" and "Filter" playlists just as you can on the mobile phone version (well, for Android anyway).

No one here wants it to be automatic. It would be a "choice."

I didn`t know there was an option to sort & filter on the android mobile version, makes you wonder why they have an sort/filter option on the mobile version but not on PC/MAC and iOS mobile versions..

I think it`s time for Spotify to comment on this and give the users an explanation.

Marked as solution

Hi Guys, I know this is an old one but I've written a script that sorts playlists alphabetically.

It's available here:

http://crtr.co.uk/sortify/

Nice!

Do i need to save the files that are in the folder(s) on my computer after running the exe file?

And, do i have to run the exe file everytime i want to use the sort function?

Thanks.

Hi Radiuz,

Extract all of the files into a folder, there's a readme inside there which gives you all of the instructions. Run it everytime you want to sort or you can set it up to run automatically through windows if you've got the know how.

Hi ryantcarter,

I followed the steps in the readme file and when i try to run the exe file i get this error message:

"it is not possible to start the program because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Check the event log or command tool Sxstrace.exe for more information."

Any idea what is wrong?

Suggested posts