Removal of desktop notifications

Highlighted

Removal of desktop notifications

Rorey
Spotify Legend

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,244 Replies

Re: Removal of desktop notifications

filipealvaro
Casual Listener

The Bell on my Imac app was the only place I could see the new musics from bands or playlists I follow.

Since a couple of weeks the bell is gonne.

Strangly, only on my office Imac but not on mac Mac Book Pro at home..

I unintalled the app and intalled it again but nothing changed. Still miss the bell sign and so new music releases.

Any solution?

Thanks!

F. Alvaro

filipealvaro
Casual Listener

The Bell on my Imac app was the only place I could see the new releases from bands or playlists I follow.

Since a couple of weeks the bell is gonne.

Strangly, only on my office Imac but not on mac Mac Book Pro at home..

I unintalled the app and intalled it again but nothing changed. Still miss the bell sign and so new releases.

Any solution?

Thanks!

F. Alvaro

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 09.55.16.png

user-removed
Not applicable
@Rorey

I know your post only pertains to the desktop version. But can you please clarify if this will also be happening on the mobile versions of Spotify?

I only ask because I still have the Bell icon, but haven't received any in-app notifications for about a month.

gareth8
Roadie

Essential reading for all members of the Spotify Product Development Team:

SpotifyQA.jpg

So yet more vital functionality removed then, to add to everything else that's vanished over the past couple of years? Another slap in the face for the power users.

brunotaurinho
Regular

That is probably the worst decision spotify ever made.

titomb345
Music Fan

Hey, eat **bleep** Spotify Devs. You are literally worse than cancer.

titomb345
Music Fan

Cancelled Spotify Premium this morning after 4 years. Best decision ever! Google Play Music>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TIdal > Spotify

virtuaxe
Roadie

Wow seriously, what the hell!? WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET OUT OF BETA MODE AND GET YOUR CRAP TOGETHER!? So many bugs and poorly thought out design and decisions. My patience is wearing thin

sparkinspace
Music Fan

It seems that the only purpose of my account here on the Spotify forums is to log in once a year to complain about something this team has removed. And lo and behold, one of my most used functions of Spotify was completely missing this morning!

Last time it was the friends activity feed, how long before that came back?

I woke up with 11 emails this morning about new songs, I opened Spotify to listen to them, which is usually just one click on the notification bell and another to start the new song that I want to play. Instead, I have to pull up my email account and go from there, for every song.

I pay a lot of money for this service, as does everyone else here. The last thing we should be getting for our money is less than the month before.

If there are no plans to bring this back, I will definitely be exploring other music services. A blow like this every year is enough to make me not miss losing 5 years of my music history. As primarily a desktop user, I couldn't care less about push notifications on my phone. Those clear after a glance while the notification section of the app served as my go-to place each time I start Spotify. Its own list that auto-updated based on the new music from artists I like.

I'd like a response from the team as to whether or not this function is coming back.

SUGGESTED POSTS