Announcements

Removal of desktop notifications

Highlighted

Re: Removal of desktop notifications

This is a terrible idea. What's so hard about having a notification history? I loved having an easily accesble place where I can see all of the latest releases from artists I follow. Please add this feature back in, and while you're at it, add the same thing to the Android app.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I follow over 700 artists on Spotify.  Also, Spotify is constantly changing availability of albums due to licensing.   Sorting through hundreds of email notifications, or worse, phone notifications just to figure out what is available is a terrible user experience.   This is an absolutely awful decision to remove the notification bell. 

Highlighted

Gig Goer
i follow 3632 users and artists right now, don't know the number of the actual artists but it is a pretty high number too, so i totally agree with you!!!
Highlighted

Gig Goer

It's a shame, a bad decision, we take the most used options for users who follow the news.

I do a radio show and need to hear the news in the app, not in the browser or the mobile application.

In addition, emails with link to the desktop app and the mobile notifiaciones not saved anywhere.

These changes markedly worse service.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Notifications in desktop app weren't working for years for me anyway... So this seems like a great solution!

Music Fan

Thanks for continuing to REMOVE features rather than ADDING things. So many people obviously love this change!

Spotify development is mind-boggling.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I was reading this expecting a new type of notification function to be implemented but you're literally just removing it and that's it? What's the point of removing it without any plan of replacing it? Especially when a function a lot of people that follow 100+ artists rely on? I should be able to keep-up-to-date with the artists I follow IN the actual desktop app itself -- not have to look through my phone or email.

You say you're always listening but are you? Was /anyone/ out there complaining about that notification bell? Please add it back.

Highlighted

I pay 120/year so that you can hide my new music notifications?? Don't only think about me, what do the artists think of this?
Highlighted

Regular

I don't want email and push notifications. I want to view them manually when I'm listening to music. I don't want them when I'm in a meeting or at the grocery store. I want to view them when I'm listening to music. How do you not understand this? 

Please listen to your community. This feature was great. This feature encouraged us to use your product *more*. You should have expanded its capabilities. Instead, you are taking it away. That makes us angry. This is "How to Lose Subscribers" 101. 

Highlighted

Regular

After using Spotify for a couple of years, I only started regularly reading notifications a couple weeks ago. You know why? Because most notifications are people subscribing to your playlists, and I only started getting subscribers a couple weeks ago, when I posted on Reddit. (Spotify doesn't want people to find your playlists if you don't post on social media.) But I loved those notifications for the brief time I got them, because I could look at the playlists of people subscribing to my playlists, and find some stuff of interest there. What I'm saying is that if only a small fraction of users looked at notifications, then it was because of Spotify's stupid policy of not making their playlists findable if they don't publicize outside of Spotify. Spotify should have opened up searching to all playlists rather than getting rid of notifications.

Spotify has bugs from 2013 that remain unfixed, like the radio and "recently played artists". Instead of fixing them, you destroy perfectly good features. WTH?

SUGGESTED POSTS