Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Searching an Artist within playlist will only return songs where artist is the first listed

Searching an Artist within playlist will only return songs where artist is the first listed

Hi everyone,

I am noticing an issue after recent update(s) where searching an Artist Name within a playlist will not return all expected results. Previously, the search will return songs where the artist is listed as a contributor, no matter where they appear on the song's artist list. 

Now it seems that the search will only return songs where the artist you are searching is the first artist listed. 

Here is an example where both songs have both artists, and you will see the error occur (both songs should appear as results in the examples):

https://screenshot.click/04-01-twn82-00psc.mp4

27 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

ROG Zephyrus

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

When you search for a specific artist in a playlist, it does not search up that artist if they are part of a collaboration. This makes sorting and organizing a playlist incredibly inconvenient.

IMG_1925.png
IMG_1926.png
IMG_1927.png

Hey @tomxluong

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, does this happen on every playlist and with multiple artists? We'd also like to know if this happens across devices or only on your PC.

First up, we'd recommend logging out and then logging back in twice in a row. This will trigger a sync between your phone and account. 

If the issue persists, it's well worth running a clean reinstall of the app on your phone to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.  

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey @GingerKoopa,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

We really appreciate the screenshots you kindly sent us. This is an odd behavior indeed, but we couldn't replicate it from our side.

That being said, we recommend that you log out and log back in to your Spotify account on the affected device twice in a row. This could sound a little bit odd, but this way the system will force a resync of your account in general.

If the above doesn't do the trick, can you check if this is happening on a different computer? You can ask a relative or a friend to open your account on their computer and check.

Lastly, would you mind creating the same playlist on a different account to check if it still happens? You can also create a free test account to check if the inconvenience persists there.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi Eni,

Thanks for the reply. Here are some answers to your questions:

• This is happening in all playlists with multiple artists
  • I've tried the log out instructions, and the clean install instructions. These suggestions did not fix the issue on any devices.
  • This is happening across both of the devices I can test:
    • macOS, Apple M1 Macbook Pro (14 inch 2021), macOS Ventura 13.2, Spotify ver. 1.2.4.912
    • Android Phone, Pixel 7 Pro, AndroidOS 13, Spotify ver. 8.8.6.472

Logged out and back in twice, didn't work.

Used a different computer with a different account on it. I even used different artists, & the exact same thing happened.

2.png
1.png
3.png

Hey folks, 

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

We could replicate this on our end and we've passed it on to the right folks to be looked into. 

We'll let you know as soon as we have any news about this.

Cheers 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

No me salen todas las músicas que tengo agregada en mi playlist de un cantante solo las propias del cantante y no en las que ha participado

Tracks that have multiple artists associated with them, can only be found by the first artist mentioned. This is a pretty recent new issue on both desktop, Android and iOS. None of them ever had this issue. I have an Android phone running an old version of the app (8.6.20.1063) which doesn't have this issue.

- reply removed -

When searching through my playlist with an artist name as the query, it only finds songs where that artist is the first one listed. It doesn't find songs where that artist is the second, third, etc.

I am having the same issue.

When I search inside of a playlist in either the desktop or mobile app for a certain artist name, if they are the second or third etc artist listed on a song, then they no longer show up in the playlist search results. They only show up if their name is listed first in the song.

If I remember correctly the search inside of a playlist feature searched through the entire title, list of artists, and album name.

It works for some artists, but for a lot of artists that are not the main artist listed I search inside a playlist, it doesn't work. And it's not happening in all playlists. It's a tricky bug.

The best playlist example I could find to reproduce this bug is to go to this playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1YNg00H4ZgKZxsdoTldOOL

In both the desktop and mobile apps try searching inside the playlist for the following artists, first look at the track number that they are on, then search and see they are not showing in search results:

Digital Farm Animals (Song #1)

Shift K3Y (Song #4)

Little Boots (Song #7)

Meredith Bull (Song #22)

MattSudaSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

When there are 2 or more artists in song it wont find that song in my playlist if i type 2nd or 3rd artist, it only find that song if i type 1st artist in search bar, same on Android and Windows 11.

YES! Just a few days ago, I realized this was also happening to me. OP didn't mention the following devices, but in case it helps, I tested on iPhone and Mac (latest software & app versions on both). I have also tested this on various artists.

I'm having the same problem rand it's really big deal for me I'm giving it a week if they don't fix it I'm switching to another platform I can't waste my money on an experience I no longer enjoy

Hi folks,

In order to look further into this can you please provide us with the following info:

• device model + Os version
  • Spotify app version
  • A short video recording of what you see when filtering your playlist

Looking forward to your replies.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

When searching for an artist in a playlist it only shows the tracks where the artist is placed first in the artist field. If they are placed 2nd, 3rd, etc. the tracks are not shown in the search result.
This makes it impossible to see all tracks from an artist in a playlist and it's in general super inconvenient for users to find the songs they want.
This became an issue 3 weeks ago suddenly on desktop, web and mobile at the same time for me.
Multiple of my friends experience the exact same issue.

Actual result: When searching for an artist name, only tracks where the artist is put first in the artist field are shown
Expected result: When searching for an artist name, all tracks from an artist should be shown in the playlist

Same.. if i search for an artist which is secondary or third, it doesn't show up in the list.. 

See example below

HorizonCookie_0-1677571912716.png

HorizonCookie_1-1677571949559.png

Same it's been a month in Android and Desktop and it's annoying 

Device : Samsung Note 10+ and laptop

Spotify version : 8.8.12.545

Suggested posts