Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashing immediately when opened.

Spotify crashing immediately when opened.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Imac pro 

Operating System

iOS 10.13.6

My Question or Issue

My Spotfiy desktop app has suddenly taken to crashing instantly when I open it. I have done a clean uninstall+install and have also tried clearing the cache and application support files from my mac library. This DOES work, but when I shut down+start up again the app is no longer working and I have to go through the process each time. 

Any hints or tips on what else I can try?! 

10 Replies

Hey @Thomrags and welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Try to disable Hardware Acceleration, just click on the spotify Menu in your Menu Bar next to the Apple Menu, just find Hardware Acceleration and next click on it to disable then confirm to restart Spotify.
Also, if you don't use local files try to disable them inside Settings.

Hope it helps 🙂

I have the exact same issue and symptoms.

Deleting the cache helps but only for one re-open.

I rely a lot on local files so disabling them isn't an option!

Hi, thank you for this. but unfortunately it didn't work! 

I use a lot of local files (7000) and it seems like this is the main issue as when I select a local files folder the app won't open up again.

The local files folder is on an external hard drive, not sure if that makes a difference, although it's been fine for over a year like this!

I also have a lot of local files (4,200).

Seems to be the root cause as I re-installed with all my sual settings except the link to my local files and it opens fine now. My local files are on my main machine, not an external drive, so that's not the issue.

This only started being an issue today — I use an iMac on macOS 10.14.2 and have client version 1.0.98.78.gb45d2a6b. Seems like it's an issue from a recent update.

The service I'm paying for is now unusable on my main machine!

Hi,

I am having the same trouble – the app crashes immediately on launch (resintalled twice). It was working fine until the latest version. I hope Spotify can find this bug soon as although I am a Premium member and use other devices too, my Mac (OSX 10.11.5) is one place I like to listen to Spotify.

Same problem here. Started after the lates update to OSx

I turned off hardware accel but that didn't solve the problem

same here, since friday i think. Tried to reinstall once and it opened once, i set up a local folder to scan and then i couldnt' reopen it again, after closing.

I tried a few combinations of things over the weekend involving moving local files around and turning a few settings off, but no change unfortunately! 

It feels like Spotify have pretty much instantly turned support off for local files. I guess it makes sense for them as you're not playing their content when you're playing local files, but it's a massive shame as I like the audio player/playlist features for adding local files in with Spotify songs.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted in a few weeks! 

"sort of" fixed the crashing. But thumbnails don't show up -- I can only play playlists

1) reinstalllatest version

2) Open app-- then immediately set off line mode

3) quit app

4) open app -- in offline mode now

5) preferences -- toggle off shared music. close app

6) repeat for the other two options.

update: after several hours of waiting the thumbnails/artist lists/etc showed up.

I ALSO added spotify to full disk access under OSx's security - Privacy panel

Suggested posts