Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify desktop app creating ghosting/flickering on Dell monitor connected to M1 Macbook pro

Spotify desktop app creating ghosting/flickering on Dell monitor connected to M1 Macbook pro

Plan

Duo

Country

Usa

Device

M1 Macbook Pro 13" (2020)

Dell U2720Q

Operating System

Montery 12.5.1

My Question or Issue

The Spotify Desktop app will cause my Dell U2720Q monitor to blink, then behave erratically: ghosting of applications, minor color shifts and intense flickering. Applications (like photoshop) flicker to the point where they're too difficult to look at.

After uninstalling the app, the issue has not returned. The browser/web-based version does not cause this issue. The Macbook is closed when the issue occurs: the laptop's screen does not seem to be affected, so far as I can tell. I've tried a Spotify removal/reinstall, with no change. The flickering, ghosting and similar issues will eventually clear from the monitor after 15 minutes, but start again any time the app is opened while using the Dell monitor.

Though an Apple/Dell combo may not be common, I'm surprised that there are no other accounts of this problem. My monitor is a couple years old, receives moderate usage, and hasn't had any problems. I've contacted Dell about the issue, to which they have replied that the monitor is not faulty and appears to be operating correctly.

The flickering is difficult to see with a recorded video, and screencaps/photos don't work very well either. I've included the best photo I could get of the ghosting. I don't feel like re-creating the issue again at this time, as I have no idea if this is harming my monitor.

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 2.03.22 PM.png
6 Replies

Hello, I have the exact same issue.

I have no idea how to reproduce the issue, but as the author of this post, it happens when my laptop is closed and Spotify is open (I think that it happened even if the Spotify app was not present on the screen).

As author mentionned, the flickering is quite intense and is a real pain for me as a dev looking closely at my screen all day long.

Thanks for your help.

Devices

M1 Macbook Pro 16" (2021)

Dell U2722D

Operating System

Montery 12.6

did you ever get this resolved? I never officially did, but it seemed to go away on it's own. I figured maybe a Spotify update randomly fixed it, but then just a few days ago it happened again. I got back to researching a bit and figured the ghosting/burn-in might have something to do with leaving Spotify on-screen for an extended amount of time, even if just 10 minutes. Apparently (as some research showed) this is due to the inherent contrast the app exudes, which can fatigue the pixels somewhat quickly. Keeping the pixels 'moving' seemed like a logical fix, so I set my screensaver to come on after 1 or 2 minutes to hopefully avoid the fatigue. Since then, I haven't had the issue reappear...

Mac Mini user here. I also have the same issue. For some reason I can't make new posts on this board, and Spotify won't respond to messages/responses to tweets either. It's become really annoying and makes me turn away from the desktop app, and maybe the service as a whole.

Is there a solution already? Because i also have this issue on my Mac Mini M1 in combination with 2 Dell U2722DE monitors. I did know what the problem was till is found out more users having the same issues.

Bl4ckSoul1997 - Turns out leaving Spotify on-screen for an uninterrupted period can cause this. I’m not exactly sure why, but it has something to do with ‘pixel fatigue’, which apparently the app causes because it’s dark and has strong contrast. Even just letting it sit on-screen for 10 minutes can do this, according to some reading I did. The key is to keep the pixels moving, so I set a screensaver to come on every 1-2 minutes. I did that about 4 months ago and haven’t had the issue since

Daan1974 - Turns out leaving Spotify on-screen for an uninterrupted period can cause this. I’m not exactly sure why, but it has something to do with ‘pixel fatigue’, which apparently the app causes because it’s dark and has strong contrast. Even just letting it sit on-screen for 10 minutes can do this, according to some reading I did. The key is to keep the pixels moving, so I set a screensaver to come on every 1-2 minutes. I did that about 4 months ago and haven’t had the issue since

Suggested posts