Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for Desktop - Release Notes (1.0.9)

Solved!

Spotify for Desktop - Release Notes (1.0.9)

What's new in this version (1.0.9)

• Say hello to our new colour. Nice, isn't it?
  • Store your music where you want. Head over to Settings to pick your cache location.
  • New on touch screens: adjust volume or jump to a different part of a song by dragging your finger.
  • The Friend Feed always refreshes, so you're never out of the loop.
  • Small screen? The Friend Feed overlay gives the main view some extra room. 
162 Replies

Spotify can have any color it wants.

As long as it will just start working again.... soon thanks! 😕

No. I don't like this colour!
Marked as solution

So, for those who don't like the new Spotify icon, here you go 🙂

I've put together all three Spotify icons that you can use in Windows.

1. Download the icons here.
2. Extract the icons.
3. Change the icon in Windows.

If you want to change back to vanilla, just repeat step 3 but navigate/browse to Spotify.exe instead.

Image shows the evolution of the Spotify icon from it's early days till it's current design.Image shows the evolution of the Spotify icon from it's early days till it's current design.

v1 - v2 - v3

Edit 2022-04-07: Fixed broken links.

Wow, whoever came up with this icon desigh, must've been really high. Seriously, did anyone ask the icon that hurts their eyes? If the idea was to create an icon that looks like a faulty graphic card problem - congratulations, you did it.

Personally I could care less about the icon color, just work the app bugs out, the play queue when going into the history tab now freezes up the app and a shutdown and restart of the app is necessary to get it running again, Just make the app so it runs smooth and return much needed missing features, otherwise they can make the icon a bright neon yellow for all I care.

The data folder stores all the streaming data and that is what we want to be able to move

I found out you can delete all folders in de data folder every now and then without any problems resulting.

This helps to prevent your SSD being consumed completely by Spotify.

The previous trick of locking the data folder with write-deny permission does not work anymore starting from 1.0.9.

If you try this the sound production will stop afer 2 seconds play.

If you like to take control of the unavoidable data stream stored on your desktop system read my next post in this thread.

@swanny Really? You can drag and click icons. What a time to be alive!

The updates come at different times in different countries...

Same here.

I kinda like the colour but if I'm honest I couldn't give a toss about colour. Give us greater ability to organise ALL things, be it folders, playlists or the contents of playlists. Give us starred back. Give us a que system that works and is easily manipulated.

Then and only then do i want to see asthetic updates. It could look like it was made in '92 for all I care. Function is everything. EVERYTHING!

Get it?

Every now and then when im really bored, i come here to check what Spotify have done lately. Im glad i came, because now im laughing my ass off to this colour thing.

-0.9.7.16 master race.

The symbolic link method still works.

Try it and submit your comments.

Close all Spotify activity before you proceed with this.

1. go to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Spotify (hidden files)

2. delete the folder called Data

3. choose the location you prefer to use to store the stream data for instance: F:\Spotify_Data

4. create this folder on your system

5. run the command prompt as administrator

6. enter or copy: mklink /d "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data" "F:\Spotify_Data"

7. press the enter key

8. a symbolic link is now created and the data stream is prevented to clog your SSD but instead rerouted to your choosen location.

9 If you navigate to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Spotify (hidden files) you will notice the link you've created and you can remove this (symbolic) link at any time if you dersire to do so.

Considerations:

1. This is a quick and dirty solution for a problem that should not have been there in the first place.

2. I don't know what will happen to this "solution" as from the next version release of the so busy developpers at the Spotify team, probably they hate it and will try to kill it.

3. In an optimistic scenario you  will enjoy this solution and  the music to listen to.

4. in a less optimistic case...

Yeah I totally agree with the color, the mint green you're doing for is not what my eyes were expecting to see with the update. I would prefer the more lime green that was there previously. 

And finally a last remark on the issue of  storage size for streaming (not for off line use selections): offer the user the selection of the maximum storage space as well as the location.

I'll stay on 0.9.15 - god darn spotify managers! nobody take care about our issues to solve it !!! **bleep** OFF!

So let me guess - despite repeated requests from the community, the friend feed is still stuck on only showing the last played song next to a picture of the friend. People want to see a FEED of songs that have been played recently, with album artwork. You know, like how you used to when things were good. The new design is so much worse. I know it, you know it, the community knows it. Can we please just at least have an option to change it back?

Good to see the features we once had gradually being implemented again though the program still uses much more memory than the silver version ever did & I still don't need the Web Helper running at all times esp. as I will never ever use it.

BTW the new colour is beyond hideous (with great big bells on) - Why on earth did the devs think we would like it?

Nice isn't the word that I would use to describe the color change. Painful would be a better word. I cannot even look at the color without squinting because I fear that looking at it wide-eyed will cause my eyes to burst into flames and melt out of their sockets.

@GraemeKerr wrote:

I kinda like the colour but if I'm honest I couldn't give a toss about colour. Give us greater ability to organise ALL things, be it folders, playlists or the contents of playlists. Give us starred back. Give us a que system that works and is easily manipulated.

You'd probably have to expand on most of those points. The queue request makes sense, but what about the "greater ability to organise all things"? We already have playlist folders.

Why do you still want starred back, when for the most part, Your Music does the exact same thing? Only thing Your Music can't handle at the moment is local files (unfortunately).

Suggested posts