Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Solved!

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Hey everyone,

As we're rolling out a new release of Spotify for desktops - v0.8.4 - we're keen to stay on top of any bugs that may have crept in while we weren't looking. We hate bugs.

So if you're having problems please use the following template to report them in this thread. This will help our top tech boffins investigate the issue. And then we'll be able to whip out the bugspray.

Don't forget to try a reinstall first! So make sure you're on 0.8.4 before reporting this to us (check under Spotify > About Spotify)

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes/No

Has anything else helped at all?

eg. turning off gapless playback made it crash less often, etc.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Thanks for helping us make Spotify the best it can be.

Update: We pushed a fix to the most recent version of Spotify. So please try redownloading from www.spotify.com/download before reporting any issues.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
250 Replies

Description

Seems to always be at the end of songs. Happens several times a day. The song will end and you just get the spinning beachball.  Then i usually right click the icon in the dock, it says 'application not responding' and i have to force quit

OSX Version

iMac  2.4GHz Core 2 Duo running 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No.

Tried turning off gapless playback but no effect. 

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

No messages or error dialogs, just the spinning beach ball.

Mine freezes at the end of the songs too. Im on windows 7.

I've about 247GB of Local music. Do others having this problem have a lot of local music?

Don't know if it's helpful or not, but i have noticed it's not tied to specific songs/playlists. I can play an album or a playlist several times and have no problem. The freezing occurs seemingly randomly, but always at the end of a track when it seems to be getting ready to load the next track.

Actually, it sometimes happens at the end of a whole playlist, when Spotify isn't trying to load the next song, it just gets to the end and then freezes. so it might not be related to that...

Description

Almost everytime after one or two songs it freezes and i have to force close

OSX Version

macbook air 2.13ghz osx 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

Haven't tried.

Haven't tried

Description

At the end of playing a song (usually around the tenth), the client will crash and require restarting without any notification or error messages.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X Lion 10.7.3

Did a reinstall help?

No

No

I've also noticed that the crossfade is not working. If I have the crossfade on at 3 sec., when there's three seconds left to the song, it cuts off, the pinwheel of death comes on the screen, and 4-8 seconds later, the next song starts.

Unless the program freezes, which it does periodically.

Are you making any progress on these problems?

The latest Spotify release fixes the crashing at the end of a song bug. Go to the download page.

Description

Spotify crashes at the end of a song

OSX Version

iMac running OS X 10.6.8

Spotify Version

0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35

Did a reinstall help?

Haven't tried it.

No

Marked as solution

Hey all, as tagg said above, we've just pushed a new installer live which should fix this crashing issue.

Simply download Spotify again from the download page and everything should be better. 

Let us know how you get on!

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

It seems that the fix was installed on the fly? I have had problems with freezing since the latest update - I was checking this thread, and saw that a new installer had been supplied. I was about to re-install as instructed, but since my Spotify seemed to have stopped freezing that instant, I decided not to re-install. And an hour later it's still working. Thank you! It was getting pretty annoying!

darn - appr. 2 hours later it suddenly froze again. I guess there's no avoiding re-installing....

freezes whenever an ad pops up even when I'm listening to local file playlist (why are there ads when I'm listening to local files?). looks like it has to do with flash.

Turned my local files back on, updated, and so far I've listened to 5 songs with no problems. Let's hope it stays that way!!

Yeah, mine stopped freezing after I restarted and was working fine for a few hours, but now the issue has occured again.

Description

It'll usually occur near the end of a song; the music will just stop, the app will freeze, and I have to force quit and reopen it. 

OSX Version

iMac running OSX 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

I re-installed a few minutes ago, so I'll update you all later.

Not so far. This only started about a week after I installed app (around mid-June), and so far it's occured anywhere from 25-50 times. 

Description

Spotify freezes after an inconsistent period of time. Average fail rate, about twice a day.

OSX Version

MacBook Pro Intel running OS X 10.6.8, Spotify version: 0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35

Did a reinstall help?

No

No

Nothing to see. I get no error message, Spotify just stops playing music. Usually trying to switch to the Spotify app at that point results in a spinny beach ball. A force quit is always required.

Description

Spotify freezes after an inconsistent period of time (after 5 to 10 songs…)

OSX Version

Multiple Intel iMacs running OS X 10.7.4, Spotify version: 0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35

Did a reinstall help?

No. Tried to remove all local files and readd them. Turned of Last.fm and Facebook activity…

No

This is ridiculous. Spotify and Rdio seemed pretty indistinguishable to me, but now I guess I'll simply go with the working app.

Description

Spotify freezes immediately on opening and after an inconsistent period of time (after 5 to 10 songs…)

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.4, Spotify version: the latest as of today downloaded from the site

Did a reinstall help?

No. I turned off local files as well.

No. It still freezes up immediately when I start the app. Since I've downloaded and reinstalled the newest version, it's gotten worse. My whole computer freezes when it was only the app before! 

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

Spotify freezes with uneven intervals. Some times I play one song before it freezes, some times I can play 10. But I force quit and restart maybe 10-15 times a day.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

Have not tried anything else than a full reinstall.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Suggested posts