Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Solved!

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Hey everyone,

As we're rolling out a new release of Spotify for desktops - v0.8.4 - we're keen to stay on top of any bugs that may have crept in while we weren't looking. We hate bugs.

So if you're having problems please use the following template to report them in this thread. This will help our top tech boffins investigate the issue. And then we'll be able to whip out the bugspray.

Don't forget to try a reinstall first! So make sure you're on 0.8.4 before reporting this to us (check under Spotify > About Spotify)

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes/No

Has anything else helped at all?

eg. turning off gapless playback made it crash less often, etc.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Thanks for helping us make Spotify the best it can be.

Update: We pushed a fix to the most recent version of Spotify. So please try redownloading from www.spotify.com/download before reporting any issues.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
250 Replies

Description

Spotify will open normally and log in, but then it will freeze for 1-2 minutes, also freezing up my entire computer. It will then unfreeze for about 10-30 seconds and freeze once again. 

OSX Version

Late 2008 Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

I have had this problem last year as well and just decided not to use spotify. However I'd like to have a premium account to use the mobile feature, but I will not do this until this issue can be resolved on my computer. I have read through previous posts regarding similar freezing issues and have done a clean reinstall, reinstalled flash, updated java, removed all of spotify (including the hidden user/library folder) and reinstalled, all to no avail. 
I noticed that It froze every time there was about to be a facebook status update in the window on the right of the UI. I have actually just solved the issue by turning off all facebook updates- since I have done this I have had no issues, but the whole point of Spotify is social music listening, so I was hoping you could provide a fix for that or reset my account somehow. 

Thanks.

Nick

Description

Crashes on startup, the second I click to open the application.

OSX Version

iMac bought 2010, running OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)

Did a reinstall help?

No

No (yep, did restart the Mac)

I found an older release of Spotify here http://download.cnet.com/Spotify/3000-2141_4-10912448.html, version 0.8.3.222.g317ab79d - this worked perfectly, and does not notify me of any updates either (which is at the moment good).

I think the version I had trouble with, was 0.8.4.something, anyway this is not the latest, but a very recent version.

This didn't help me actually. I think I have a very similar problem, so I'll try to find other earlier versions. Thanks!

This sort of works though: http://download.cnet.com/Tomahawk/3000-2139_4-75671661.html?tag=mncol;9

It doesn't look as good or intuitive as spotify, but at least it lets you search the spotify library.

This is the exact same thing that is happeneing to my mac (10.7.4) while spotify is running.  It took a couple of weeks to figure out that it was spotify causing it.  Have you found a solution to this problem yet, by chance?

@DaveJacobson wrote:

Description

computer completely freezes sporadically anytime Spotify is running.  hard-reboot always required.  it doesn't even have to be playing a song.  sometimes it's idle when this happens.  i'll notice it stops playing music and know i have about 30 seconds to save everything before it completely locks and does the spinning wheel.  other apps such as chrome act as though my internet connection has been lost.  these things ONLY happen when spotify is running.  i have to resort to playing spotify from my ipad which is okay but has a much more limited interface.

OSX Version

Mac Pro running OS X 10.6.8 (network managed users)

Did a reinstall help?

No

no.  i've tried turning off all non-esential features such as gapless, local files, etc.

Spotify freezes at login if I don't delete the user profile in the library first.

Version: 0.8.4.124

Mac OS: OSX 10.8, Mountain Lion.

Did reinstallation help? No.

Did not have this problem until my boyfriend tried to login to his spotify profile on my machine. Before, it would flawlessly log in, play music, never freeze.

But he tried to login with his account and it froze. Then he deleted HIS user folder in the Library, and it worked. But then if he logs out, I can't log back in. It will freeze. It will also freeze at start up everytime I start the application and try to log in without first deleting my user foler in Library. After that, I can sign in. But only once. If I shut out of the application, i will need to delete the user folder again before signing in.

It always freezes on the initializing screen.

help?

Marked as solution

This works for me:

Go to library/application support/SIMBL and delete the plugin-folder. Now login works every time!

Macbook pro running osx 10.8.2

Exactly the same problem.

Description

Crashes on startup, the second I click to open the application.

"We're sorry that Spotify crashed. Crash reports helps us find and fight bugs so that we can improve Spotify. Would you like to send your crash report?"

OSX Version

2009 MacBook Pro running 10.8.2 (12C54)

Did a reinstall help?

No

No (yep, did restart the Mac)

Unfortunately, the SIMBL folder is not there. I've never seen it.

Hmm, thats strange. I used Migration Assistant to transfer files from my old macbook when I bought the onw I'm using now. Så maybe the SIMBL-folder is somehow related to Snow Leopard, or an old version of Spotify.

Right now I can't  find a different library-folder that has anything to do with Sibelius, unless I use AppCleaner. If you open AppCleaner and drag sibelius into it, it will search for folders and files related to Sibelius. This will lead you to folders containing userfiles and so on. Maybe deleting some of these files would help? Try moving some of the user files to the trash. This might work.

Description

Freezing in the playing of a radio, album or playlist just after one song, and then playing always the same playlist of mine

OSX Version

Macbook running OS X Lion 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

not at all

Description

Spotify starts normally and works normally, but when I try to scroll with mouse, Spotify freezes and beachball appears. After that I have to force close the program. I can use Spotify normally if I drag sidebars.

OSX Version

Macbook Late 2008 running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Did a reinstall help?

No. I also reinstalled Flash and Java. I tried with older version of Spotify but same problem appears.

Description

Spotify freezes whenever interacting w/ social parts of the application:

1) clicking on my name (to see my own profile)

2) clicking subscriber count on a shared playlist 

3) right clicking on a playlist in my left side-bar

4) DOES NOT FREEZE when clicking the Share button.

So maybe it's something in the contextual menus? 

OSX Version

Macbook Air 2011 running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Spotify 0.8.4.124...

Did a reinstall help?

Not at all. Nor did disabling local files. 

Hi all , I was having the same problem with spotify freezing up and unable to kill the process tree etc. I looked back at what changes I made in the few days previous, and the main thing was i have been jailbreaking a friends I-phone and had installed I-tunes and Apple software update.  I'm no expert but un-installing both worked for me and full functionality is restored. 

Hope this helps some people out.

Description

For the past 3 weeks, Spotify freezes on login, either when I try to type my password or right after I click the log in button. No error message - I just have to force quit it.

OSX Version

2007 Macbook Pro running OS X Lion 10.7.5

Did a reinstall help?

No, I've reinstalled many times. Complete clean reinstall, reinstalled flash...did everything I was told to try and nothing works.

NOTHING! Changed my password, removed Facebook app, cleaned and scanned my hard drive. Only the mobile apps work.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Description

My Spotify app started acting up a while ago and I don't know the exact reason. It just hangs in the startup.It seems to get stuck in recursion or something... 

OSX Version

OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Did a reinstall help?

No

Nope

Here's the Activity Monitor sample http://nopaste.info/b0c5bb6662.html

Description

After clicking the Spotify.app file it booted up, and then froze claiming it was initiating. The loading cirlce stopped rotating.

OSX Version

MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012 running OS X 10.8.2

Did a reinstall help?

No. Nor did it help after the 5th attempt.

YES!

Users/(user_name)/Library/Application support

Find the folder called Spotify. Delete that. Remove the app (I was using App Trap as well). Re-install via the .dmg ONLY. Hey-presto! So now it initiates on the first attempt.

If you quit spotify CMD+Q or via Activity Moniter then relaunch it is also now fine.

Not sure why this has happened. And I'm not sure why the so called "amazing" team at spotify require a 15 year old to fix their problems... >.>

Spotify causes my mac mini (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 8 GB of memory) to crash.  More specifically, when I use the radio function or when I stream new artits from the What's New tab.  I am using OS X 10.8.2 and Spotify 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8

Description

Spotify is in not respond mode a few seconds after starting it! Icon bounces a few times then freezes. Have to "forceremove" it.

Been like this for a while now...

OSX Version

OS X 10.8.2

Did a reinstall help?

No

Nope

Suggested posts