Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify injected with adware

Solved!

Spotify injected with adware

Whenever I click on a playlist from the browse menu, it launches a pop-up on my browser. During normal browsing also, if spotify is on, it launches pop-ups. I downloaded my copy of spotify from the official website, I don't know why this is happening. Can anyone help me? [mac version]

edit: It is possible that there is some adware left over from a previous installation. In that case, how do I completely erase Spotify and re-install?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@xrisk Please try clean reinstall.

https://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

If my post helped you to fix your problem, please press "Accept as Solution" button.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Spotify staff investigating this issue right now. This is false positive detection.
If my post helped you to fix your problem, please press "Accept as Solution" button.

Hi there and welcome to the community,

Spotify is aware of the issue, this should be fixed as soon as possible. It is a false possitive.
To download, press details -> Proceed anyway.

If that doesn't work, try a different browser and make sure that you disable any firewall and/or antivirus.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

What do you mean by false positive? How am I getting pop-ups?

@xrisk It means that the client isn't injected. Spotify is safe to download/install.

Last.fm | Twitter

Here is a screenshot Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 12.21.21 am.png

Are you using google chrome? False positive means that antivirus software detected file as virus/spyware and etc which actually is clean.

I clarify: I have Spotify installed. But it is launching pop-ups on my computer whenever I click on a playlist from the browse menu.

@xrisk Mind posting a screenshot?

Last.fm | Twitter

Marked as solution

@xrisk Please try clean reinstall.

https://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

I am downloading it again.

@atom1989 How come Spotify app was hijacked by adware? And it was not showing on my antivirus also.

Hi guys,

The earlier issue has been resolved. If you are experiencing any issues let us know!

You may have to clean your browser cache.

Last.fm | Twitter

I have exactly the same problem. When Spotify is open, it opens pop-ups every now and then on my default browser. When I close Spotify, there are no more pop-ups. The problem started about 2 weeks ago.

I uninstalled Spotify and removed *everything* that refers to Spotify, even from registry. Then rebooted Windows (7, SP1 etc..). Then reinstalled Spotify, tested, but pop-ups keep opening.

The pop-ups are opened in the default browser, no matter what it is (Vivaldi, Firefox, Chrome).

Malwarebytes and MS Essentials didn't find anything suspicious.

It seems that this has something to do with the ads showing in Spotify itself. The pop-ups seem to open when the ad changes in the bottom of Spotify.

Any advices? Get rid of Spotify, maybe???

spotify-01.png
spotify-03.png

Same here.  Been using Spotify Windows desktop player for ages now and never had this trouble.  All of the sudden, getting pop-up ads in my browser and Spotify seems to be the only culprit.  This better be fixed quick or it's gone for good!

Suggested posts