Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps skipping

Solved!

Spotify keeps skipping

Every since I installed Spotify on my computer, it keeps skipping every few seconds with practically every single song. I tried re-installing but still experience the same problem. Not really sure what else to do, but it's pretty annoying.

228 Replies

@Andi2

Hello:

What Windows version and what is the Spotify app version this is happening with?

Yes - 

I am using Windows 8, and randomly Spotify will start skipping every song!! It will run through whatever playlist I am trying to play, or whatever Radio Station I try to play. Only plays for 1 second, then it skips to next song. Not sure why....

Re installed the sound driver for an older one, it works for me

I have the same issue (Spotify skips songs without even playing them) and I have tried everything recommended in this post (except downloading an old sound drive which might solve the issue but I feel Spotify sould be releasing a patch to fix this issue as everyone might not bother going through that process). 

This incident started happening after I download Windows 10. 

UPDATE: I solved the issuedid not have to do a sound drive update, just had to to "hard" shut the computer (I am using a Suface Pro, shutting down does not really shuts down the computer. I had to do the two button shut down)

I use a dell precision M4600, recently updated to Windows 10. After two weeks of normal function, the Spotify desktop app abruptly started skipping every single track selected. None of the suggestions offered by most of the posts here worked: I unclicked every single local file source, disabled hardware acceleration, deleted my local Spotify cache file, uninstalled/reinstalled the Spotify app, uninstalled itunes and even removed all local audio files. Problem persisted, no tracks would play for more than a fraction of a second.

Solution: my audio driver was the culprit. I uninstalled the factory-supplied IDT audio driver and then installed the generic windows 10 driver "High Definition Audio Device" using the device manager. Problem solved, no more skipping.

I have the same problem on the crome version, PC version, and mobile!

Not the case... this hapens to me every second and it's the most annoying thing yet. I don't have iTunes installed and it still happens, so I can say that your "theory" is false

This worked!!! Thank you so much!

Also just google the Realtek download and don't pay the subscription to microsoft

Run as Administrator. Done

Run what as admin, the workstation?

So...what was the final solution.

SOund drivers are good, ran as admin, uninstalled 3 times, devices still working, I'm a little ticked right now honestly that there isn't a solution or direct tech support.

And fyi.. the itunes cross platform issue must be isolated...I have never used itunes...ever..

Windows updates are done

SPotify prompted me for the quicktime update.. done..

Hardware acceleeration turned off

Any other amizing ideas for the community Spotify Admins?  Calling SPotify Admins?... yeah got nada on that..someone else want to give it a shot.

I have the same problem, it occurs randomly. I have had this problem before but it solved itself in the past. I have never had iTunes, I have installed Win10 recently but spotify has worked fine for two months. 

Admins, why is there no clear solution for this? This is ludicrous for a service which people pay money for. And for a problem of this magnitude.

The best solution I think would be a built in troubleshooting feature in spotify.

Please work on this, you are losing customers.

@tjvisserman wrote:

Please work on this, you are losing customers.

Yep. After 3 years, I have just canceled my premium subscription. I'm sick of buggy software.. Android app has an issue where it runs slow whenever you start storing your music offline on the SD card and every couple of Windows desktop updates there is some kind of  issue and my local files either stop syncing with all my devices ot just dissapear randomly.

Completely fed up!

Solved the problem for me too. Was skipping songs I already had on my comp as well.

Thanks BS!

What solved the problem for you?

I'm getting this error now too.. please fix

Sorry guys, thought they'd link the comment that I responded too.. Guess that's a little too much to ask. Like having out streaming service run smoothly.. : P  Go Edit - Preferences - and uncheck all Local Files (Itunes, D/Ls, WMP, and ML). Seems like the software pulling local creates lag. Hope that helps!

Windows 7

And I don't have any local files and am a premium user. I'd just like to be able to wake up and press play on my computer. I too am getting mad. Seems like everyone has a different problem with 3 potential solutions.

I have this problem on my android. Also when my app is closed it will start to play music. PLEASE HELP

Suggested posts