Premium

Country

USA

Device

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)

Operating System

macOS Mojave v10.14.5

My Question or Issue

I can't connect to my Google Home Mini directly from Spotify on my MacBook.

Context

• Have you looked to see if this question has already been answered?
  • Are the devices on the same WiFi network?
    • Yup.
  • Is your Spotify app up-to-date?
    • Yup. Re-linked on Google Home Mini. Reinstalled on Mac.
  • Did you try rebooting it?
    • Yup. Rebooted my MacBook and my Google Home Mini.
  • Can you play music from your Google Home Mini on Spotify?
    • Yup.
  • What happens if you start Spotify from your Google Home app or your mobile device?
    • It works and Spotify sees I'm listening to it on my Mini.
    • Screenshot_20190817-111425.png
    • And if I open it up on my MacBook, it sees the Mini.
    • Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 11.16.59 AM.png
  • What happens if you disconnect from your Mini and play on your mobile device?
    • Then on the Spotify Desktop app on my MacBook, Mini disappears
    • Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 11.17.51 AM.png

I'm out of ideas on how to troubleshoot this. Open to other suggestions. Really what I'm looking for is being able to play on my Mini from my MacBook so that I can then control the volume from my MacBook.

It's just strange that it's not showing up even though they're on the same WiFi network.

Any help in advance is appreciated.

8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Spotify on Desktop doesn't see Google Home Mini

Same issue here! my iphone app will see the google home mini but my desktop mac osx (catalina) won't!
Highlighted

Same issue. On OSX it sees my PS4 and My phone. I have over 10 Google Home devices and the OSX app sees none of them.
Highlighted

Im getting the same issue. I see all my google devices through the spotify app on my phone, but none through my macbook pro. I only see my Denon receiver, Ps4, and Phone. I notice that these all say "Spotify Connect" and not "Google Cast" as the devices do on my phone. This is weird because Spotify's website says all Google home devices are compatible with Spotify Connect.

Highlighted

Visitor

Same issue here.  How to fix?

Highlighted

Casual Listener
Same issue here, months later... latest version of Spotify and macOS Catalina. If I start playing Spotify from my Android phone or by talking to the speaker, the Mac app finally sees the speaker and I can control my music... but if I try to START playing my music to the speaker via the Mac app, I cannot, as the Google Home device doesn't appear in the list. Alexa devices do appear.
Highlighted

Regular

@detection wrote:
Same issue here, months later... latest version of Spotify and macOS Catalina. If I start playing Spotify from my Android phone or by talking to the speaker, the Mac app finally sees the speaker and I can control my music... but if I try to START playing my music to the speaker via the Mac app, I cannot, as the Google Home device doesn't appear in the list. Alexa devices do appear.

I'm seeing exactly this same behaviour. I need to start the music with any other device than my MBP and connect to any one of my google home devices. After that Mac Spotify can be used as a remote controller. Until then Mac Spotify app doesn't see any Google Home devices although everything is running in the same wifi. 

Luckily this seems to be a consistent repeatable issue, so therefore hopefully easier to fix. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Same issue here too. I can see all my smart speakers on the iPhone App, but on my Mac desktop app, I can only see the Alexa speakers and none of the Google Home devices. Please fix it 🙏🏻

Highlighted

Visitor
Same problem - any fix yet?
SUGGESTED POSTS