Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify prevents Mac from going to sleep

Solved!

Spotify prevents Mac from going to sleep

Hi,

running the Spotify client prevents my Mac from going to sleep, even when no song is being played.

By typing "pmset -g assertions" into the terminal window, you'll get a list of diagnostic information regarding power save mode. As long as Spotify is running, it contains the the line

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,2:0'.noidlesleep" 

This would be the expected behavior when a song is being played but seems to be a bug otherwise.

A fix would be nice!

Thanks,

Norb

69 Replies

Where is this script you are talking about? I searched for it but couldn't find it...

Hey

I'm the one who wrote that script. I'm not sure that it still works (I seem to recall trying it and it no longer being able to run), but I haven't needed to use it for a couple of years. The problem just hasn't been there.

Here's an interesting but weird data point though. Last week, I installed a new system disk and started fresh (no restore from Time Machine backup). And Spotify was causing the sleep issue again! But now it isn't anymore...

I'm honestly not sure what fixed it, but I can tell you what I tried.

I removed the app from Applications and deleted Spotify's data from ~/Library/Application support. Then I took the app from my old install and ran that. The sleep issue was gone. Just to double check that the new version was actually causing the issue, I repeated the steps (binning the app and it's data) and installed the new version again. The sleep issue was still gone.

I'm really at a loss as to what fixed the issue, because these steps look like more some kind of weird witchcraft than something that should fix anything... but fixed it is. No troubles with sleep here.

That is really weird @drdaz... Anyway, since I can't get my Spotify to work as expected, can you please point me where your script is? Maybe I can tweak it a little if it no longer works.

There was a link (now dead) to it in either this thread, or another about the same thing. I've attached it here.

Good luck!

EDIT: I've toyed with trying to get it to work a little, and there are a few things. The plist file I read to get the System Sleep Time has moved in Sierra to 

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist. In the plist, I also don't have the 'Custom Profile' entry anymore, so that needs to go away. Also if you, like me, live in a locale where decimal points are represented as commas, then the place where I calculate the current idle time won't work, since the shell script returns a number with the decimal point as a period.

« BUMP »

Definitely still happening to me and my 2012 MBA running Sierra 10.12.3, with Spotify v.1.0.53.758.gde3fc4b2.

Assertion is still there, after i have quit the application and neither the helper, coreaudiod or the spotify app show up in the activity monitor.

Are we still seeing this consistently across a handful of machines?  wowee.

For the past 5 months i thought my battery issues were just in my head....

Bedroom Songwriter,  thanks for your dillegent work in the past years working with this issue.

Good luck out there....

Hey, if the assertion is still there after you quit Spotify, then Spotify isn't your problem!

Yikes! Well thanks for the clarification. I'll double check next time I
notice the issue.

I'm getting this issue after wondering why my Mac wouldn't sleep.

When paused, it's still preventing sleep. As soon as you fully exit spotify, it's fine.

This has caught me out multiple times when I've left it open on a table and returned to find the battery draining out.

On a new Macbook Pro TB / OSX 10.12.5, Spotify 1.0.58.573.g57c9cd87

2018 and I still have this problem on a Mac Mini with High Sierra 10.13.2

Same issue here. If I close the top of my MacBook it doesn't go to sleep, therefore it does not lock it, so anyone can open it up and use it.

Suggested posts