Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Streaming Quality drops when I open Google Chrome on Mac Desktop App

Solved!

Streaming Quality drops when I open Google Chrome on Mac Desktop App

Plan:

Premium

United Kingdom

Device:

MacBook Pro 2019

Operating System:

macOS Catalina (Version 10.15.1)

The Problem:

When using the desktop app for Spotify on Mac with the streaming quality setting set to "Very High", or any other quality for that matter, and I open up Google Chrome the audio stops for 1 second and when it returns it is playing at the lowest possible quality.

This does not happen when using any other web browser; only when using Google Chrome.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just an update for anybody else that has the same problem. 

It only occurs when using earphones or headphones that can be used as a microphone.

The solution:

Go to System Settings>Sound>Input and change the input from the AirPods (or whichever earphones/headphones you are using) to the MacBook Microphone. 

This has solved the problem for me.

View solution in original post

Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 11.44.59.png
4 Replies

Are you listening to Spotify through the mac speakers, or headphones that are usable as a handsfree headset?

If it's the latter, I'm pretty sure what's happening is Chrome is switching your headphones to phone call mode, which enables the microphone and switches to an audio mode that results in overall lower sound quality for music.

I think I had a similar issue in the past with my headphones, but unfortunately I can't remember how I solved it. If I can remember I'll update my comment or post again.

Thank you for the information. I am listening through AirPods so I imagine
I will be experiencing the same problem.

If you do remember the solution please do let me know. Cheers.
Marked as solution

Just an update for anybody else that has the same problem. 

It only occurs when using earphones or headphones that can be used as a microphone.

The solution:

Go to System Settings>Sound>Input and change the input from the AirPods (or whichever earphones/headphones you are using) to the MacBook Microphone. 

This has solved the problem for me.

Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 11.44.59.png

your a literal life saver thank you!!.

Suggested posts