Free

Country

USA

Device

(Microsoft Surface Laptop)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

In my already created playlists, the albums of certain songs will be changed. For instance the song will stay the same but the album and album artwork will change to different albums and artworks of the same song. It's annoying and it seems to be widespread in many playlists. It seems to be changing it to compilation albums more specifically instead of the albums where the song was first released on. If I manually get rid of the new changed albums and re add the original album/song into the playlist it immediately changes it back to the new changed compilation release instead of the original album. Or in other cases it will replace the original album with the deluxe edition release. I don't know if this is a glitch but it's very annoying. Is there any other way to try to solve this? Thank you!

Edit: I attached a screenshot below. I quickly created a new test playlist showing the problem. As you can see the original album artworks shows up in the cover photo thumbnail however all the songs are changed to different albums in the actual playlist. It seems to be changing them if the artist has the same song in compilation albums, soundtracks, or deluxe editions. If this could be fixed I would greatly appreciate it.

Screenshot (179).png
23 Replies

Same exact thing happened to me. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Same thing, still. I wrote topic about this ages ago. IIRC  the answer was then that the content is not available, which I don't understand. The content / albums / tracks..  either it is available or it isn't. It can't be both or the same track from single but not from album.  I have examples that certain tracks from album are not available here. But when I'm playing available tracks from there.. it changes to single, which I don't like.

Another example.. where all track are white  (available), but still Spotify changes them.. totally: Album cover, artist, album, even track name is messed up.  If something is not available, then remove, delete it from catalogue.

Hey there folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

We'd like to investigate this further.

@Imaad and @Blueberry, could you try creating a new test playlist and sending us a screenshot of how it looks like on your end like the one @jwarrior77 shared? Make sure not to send any private info.

Additionally, would you mind sending us the URI of the affected songs? To get them, just follow the steps here.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

It is for any song that has a different version, it just changes to a
different version besides the album or single version. This is shown in
Juice WRLD's album Death Race For Love, when I add a song from there to my
playlist that has a different version besides the album version it changes
to that. For a few songs, it changes to a whole different song with similar
properties. For example, "Drip Too Hard" by Lil Baby and Gunna turns into
"Drip Too Hard Remix" by Payper Corleone.

Here are the song URIs to the screenshot I took:

spotify:track:3NW1YMA8kfNVTzGJCGBS8m

spotify:track:0RO9W1xJoUEpq5MEelddFb

spotify:track:14XWXWv5FoCbFzLksawpEe

spotify:track:5LO0sJCkNMZYLYeGOvblLu

It seems to be happening to only some artists and not others but I don't if that's  relevant to the problem. I can give more URIs to other songs affected if that's needed. Thanks for the reply

Hey folks, 

Thanks for the info 🙂

Just to double-check-does this happen only when you use the web player or also when you use the desktop app?

In case this occurs only when you use the web player, it's a good idea to clear the cache and cookies. 

We'd suggest you also try with another browser. Are there any changes?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I checked on the desktop app and there doesn't seem to be any issue or change with the albums actually. So the app doesn't seem to be affected. I don't know if this is the case for anyone else with this issue.  It seems to only be messed up on the web player. I tried on different browsers and the issue still shows up there as well.

How would you clear the cache for the web player? If the issue could be solved by clearing it than that would be great!

Hey @jwarrior77,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here.

Good to know that this is happening only in the web browser for you. Our suggestion was to clear the cached-data which is accumulated in your web browser, and hence to see if this will resolve the issue with the web player. So in other words you'd need to clear the cache and cookies for your preferred browser. For example, here are the steps to do this, if you are using Google Chrome.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator

I cleared the cache many times and unfortunately the issue is still present. Is it perhaps a glitch in the app? Are there any other options that can be done?  Thanks

Hi @jwarrior77,

Thank you for keeping in touch. 

We ran some tests from our side and were able to replicate the same issue. What we noticed is that (at least for us), this mostly happens when saving a song from an album that has multiple releases (Deluxe, Remasters, Anniversary Editions, etc).

We'd like to investigate further, for that we'd like to get some info from you, @Blueberry and @Imaad.

Please share with us the OS you're running, browser and app version. 

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

There are many variations what happens and when. Adding to playlist shows correct info. Playing and adding to cue changes and plays the wrong track  from anywhere else than I want. I don’t use webplayer.

Spotify – Windows 10

1.1.77.643.g3c4c6fc6

Spotifyplaying_ZVVL_2022_P3DEdit.jpg

 Playing ZVVL. Same goes for "Now It's Not The Time" and "It's Not Right, But It's Okay".. the album cover changes to wrong one. This time the album in Que is correct..   

Spotifyplaying_PMMP_2022_P3DEdit.jpg

Spotifyplaying_PMMP_2000luku_2022_P3DEdit.jpg

Hi folks,

Thanks for your replies.

The tracks are interlinked for stream payout reasons, as on Spotify this is tracked per-song and everything is aggregated. So due to this interlinking, a song with the same content can appear as a different version of itself, but is ultimately one and the same and shouldn't influence the listening experience.

Hope this cleared things up a little bit. The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Take care!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

4FEBE918-424B-4CB8-B77A-E71286211BCA.png

You say “it doesn’t influence the listening experience” however for some artists it does. Some artists have different versions as previously mentioned, but they are different vocally. Please change this as many users have had the same problem.

Shouldn't affect... haha! In my case a lot of times it will swap an original for an electric version or an acoustic version for the original. It's happening more frequently across many of my playlists. 

The problem I’m having is that certain songs sound better from different albums. For instance, T.G. Sheppard has a song called, Slow Burn. On the original album along with a few others, the song doesn’t sound that good, but on a album called, Super Hits Series, the song sounds great, but now that song is whited out from that album. So I don’t understand if the song is available from other albums, why is it not available from the Super Hits Series album?

Actually after looking for that album, Super Hits Series, it’s no longer there. So the songs that I have in my playlist I created for that artist routes to another album those songs are in. Which really sucks because that Super Hits Series album had better sound Quality😢😢

just a note, I only use the Spotify App on my IPhone. 

It changed a couple of my songs from the original to like a country, electric, or acoustic version btw.

Hi,

Does anyone know if there’s been an update/fix for this yet as it’s still affecting me (noticed mostly on iPhone app)

I would also like to know if this will be fixed. When I add a song to my playlist, it should keep the version that I added - instead I will start getting remixes with completely different sounds. And it constantly changes, I am finding that more and more songs on my playlist are being changed on me, very frustrating. Apple Music doesn't have this problem. I would prefer to stay with Spotify but not at the expense of having my music changed on me constantly. 

I know, go to the web player select a song with the glitch, refresh the page and you have fixed it.

Lemme know if it does not work.

Suggested posts