Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

All playlists are blank, and no songs will load.

Solved!

All playlists are blank, and no songs will load.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Canada

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I was having an issue where some songs were not loading and could not be added to playlists. I saw someone with a similar issue who fixed it by reinstalling spotif,y, but that emptied all of my playlists and favorite songs, and no songs load or can be added to the playlists anymore.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @futureborn @FroggyHorntail !

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Ah, almost forgot something. All other playlists display as blank too, saying this playlist is currently empty. Even the ones on the browse section like New Music Friday

Currently having the same problem, ironically, after a fresh reinstall of Spotify on my desktop.

I was tired of the desktop app not playing songs by artists that it was perfectly capable of playing on my Android phone (i.e. Jonathan Young's extensive collection of covers, Mike Shinoda's album Post-Traumatic), and thought a reinstall would help.

Now it's worse. Now it can't detect ANY songs in my favorites or my playlists, it just tells me to start browsing and adding songs to them. Attempting to circumvent this by using the device connect to play the song on desktop from my phone also doesn't work - the phone says it's picked up the song, the now listening icon will appear next to the playlist in question on desktop, but nothing will play.

...and again, this started up after a CLEAN REINSTALL, so that's not going to fix the problem, clearly.

Marked as solution

Hey @futureborn @FroggyHorntail !

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

It worked great for me. I appreciate your help very much, followed your instructions step by step and all my playlists show fine now.

Suggested posts