Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

All tracks fail when app is started with System default audio set to 32bit 384khz

All tracks fail when app is started with System default audio set to 32bit 384khz

Premium

Country

US

Device

PC - SMSL Sanskrit MKII DAC, XMOS USB audio driver v5.50.0

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When the spotify desktop app is started, and system Default sound format is set higher than 32bit 192khz, all tracks fail to play with error:

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

This is not related to the track or music bitrate, but with the audio implementation of the application and a clear bug.

There is a workaround I have found, which also demonstrates more clearly that this is an application bug. By doing the following:

1. Open application with system set to 32 bit 384khz.

2. All tracks fail with the error mentioned previously.

3. Without closing app, set system to 32bit 192khz

4. All playback works normall

5. Without closing the application again, set the system BACK to 32bit 384khz

6. About 1 second audio hiccup as settings change, but playback continues, and opening other tracks works fine.

I have seen a couple threads that I dont believe described the problem in enough detail, and was written off by Spotify support as a request for higher bitrate audio tracks, this IS NOT the issue at hand. The issue is the app having a bug that causes playback to fail with certain default max bitrates for higher end audio equipment. But only if the app starts with that setting in place, but works fine if you toggle back and forth.

Screenshot attachments:

1. Showing error when app started with system set to 32bit 384khz

2. Showing playback working after switchign to 32bit 192khz

3. Showing playback continue to work after toggling back to 32bit 384khz, only IF the application was already opened.

spotify1.PNG
spotify2.PNG
spotify3.PNG
1 Reply

Hi @Iormungand21,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community! Sorry for the late reply, we just came by this post.

The app generally supports a sample rate of up to 192 kHz, but since the content uploaded on Spotify has a bitrate of up to 320kbit/s, sample rates higher than 44.1k or 48k aren't really necessary to enjoy the music to its fullest.

What you've discovered, however, is pretty interesting and I was able to reproduce the behavior on my end as well. Rest assured your feedback has been forwarded to our internal teams who'll look further into it.

The Community is always here if something else comes up in the meantime.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts