Free

Country

Uk

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Everytime I open Spotify it goes to a black screen, and everytime I close it, it stops responding. When it is closed, I go into task manager and see that 4-5 processes are still running. Ending them allows me to open Spotify, only to have it blackscreen again. I feel like I've done everything to fix this: reinstalled Spotify and Windows, tried installing an old exe version (only for it to update to the Store version the next day), added a shortcut with the "--disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background" command, disabled hardware acceleration, **bleep**, I've even had a new computer since I first had this issue.

Friends and family haven't had this issue, and everyone on the internet have solved similar issues with what I have done, so I'm starting to think I'm just cursed!

Anything that I could have missed?

5 Replies

Hey @IDEKanym0r3 

You've been having this kind of issue on two computers?

If possible, could you check if the same happens on your machine, but a different network connection, or another machine? 🙂

I recommend checking if graphics drivers have been updated to the newest version. Windows has a program called System Information that shows detailed info on your computer's specs, in case you're stuck finding the version of your gpu.

Let me now how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Sebasty, thanks for the response!

Yes, this has happened on 2 computers now, one being only a month old, the other being a few years. I've now checked both computers' graphic drivers but the had been fully updated. I also got permission to connect to my neighbors network to see if it worked on a different network, but the issue persisted.

I have done a bit more research as well I found that the issue could be that one of the processes isn't opening. I also found that if I use a hotkey to play media (i.e. Fn+F7) music plays, but the app still shows nothing. I don't know if any of that helps, but if it does, keep me posted :).

Hi there @IDEKanym0r3

Thanks for sending us this info. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a regular one. Also, make sure to download the app again from the Microsoft Store.   

On another note, could you check if you have entries containing Spotify in your Host files and delete those?

You can follow this Solution for instructions.

Let us know if the issue persists after that.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Screenshot attached. This has happened twice this week on my pc. Can we figure this out please? I'm tired of reinstalling the app. I don't pay for this premium service to reinstall and lose my saved local playlists over and over.

Screenshot 2021-02-19 181800.png

Hey @asutton3,

Thanks for posting.

Sometimes the cache of the app can get corrupted and case issues like the ones you're experiencing. That's why performing a clean reinstall is a good first troubleshooting step, as it gets you the latest app version with all necessary updates and remove any corrupted files from previous installations. 

If that doesn't fix things, let us know if you've tried any additional troubleshooting steps or the ones that @Eni or @Sebasty suggested. That way we can avoid recommending something you've already tried. 

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts