Premium

Country

Austria

Operating System

Windows 10 (Version 1803)

Spotify Version

1.0.81.325.g17f71170

My Question or Issue:

I can´t disable the annoying Media Overlay anymore!

Ever since I started using Spotify I have disabled the Overlay with the option "Show desktop overlay when using media keys" and it worked fine.

Suddenly the media overlay appeard again and everytime I turn it off again in the options it pops up again as soon as I restart Spotify, even though the option is still shown as disabled in the preferences.

Why does this setting reset itself and how can I stop this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Downloaded spotify from microsoft store and it fixed my problem. 

View solution in original post

22 Replies

I'm experiencing the exact same problem here. Already reached out to Spotify on Twitter and they passed it along to the developers. Hoping this'll be fixed soon as it's quite annoying.

Posted this as a new topic before I realized this topic exists. Tried to delete my post but coudln't find it. So I thought I should add to this topic instead.

----

Plan

Premium

Country

Taiwan 

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Over the past month or so, I have repeatedly tried to disable the desktop overlay that pops up in the top-left corner of my screen when I change songs. Even though in Spotify preferences the option is disabled, it still keeps popping up randomly.

Each time I must go back into Spotify preferences, enable the overlay and disable it again, then it would return to normal and stay disabled. But after a few days it would all of the sudden start to pop up again, even though the option in preferences stays disabled.

I am not sure whether it happens after a software update or not, as I haven't been paying attention to it, but this is extremely annoying.

I've also noticed the tray icon disappearing once or twice. I have my Spotify client close to a tray icon, but every now or then it would close without a tray icon nor a taskbar window, but it would keep functioning and my media keys can still be used to change songs. I would have to launch the program from my Start Screen again to pop up the Spotify client, manually exit the program, and relaunch it again to get the tray icon working.

I'm a relatively new Spotify user, and I would really hope that this can be resolved quickly. As someone working on the desktop PC, sometimes using the PC 10-14 hours a day, with the PC (and Spotify) staying on for weeks at a time, this happens too frequently to ignore.

Lately members of my family have started to ask me why do I suddenly swear out aloud (I never used to do this) so please resolve this bug before I couldn't hold it anymore and smash my keyboard the next time it happens in the middle of my work while trying to meet a deadline for which I'm falling behind because I procrastinate too much (which often involves listening to songs on Spotify) and ending up making my family afraid of me and getting a divorce and becoming a drunk and losing my job and finally couldn't take it anymore and jump off a building somewhere...you get the idea.

Fix this. Pretty please? Or someone give me a hint on what else is needed to make sure the overlay is disabled? Am I having Spotify running for too long at a time and the program just isn't stable enough for this? Is it because I didn't get the Family Plan so Spotify tries to make life difficult for me?

Same issue here - ever since the latest Spotify update. The workaround I've found is to simply go to options and enable then disable the layout - it won't show up until next system restart. Pretty annoying still.

Updated spotify yesterday and have the same problem since then.

The button stays on disabled (left side and grey) but still shows the Media Overlay.

Current Version: 1.0.82.447.g975ad224

Germany

Premium User

Got this too after the update.

Current Version: 1.0.82.447.g975ad224

The Netherlands

Premium User

It is a bug since the new update, the only workaround is HideVolumeOSD, this tool will hide the volume pop-up for everything.

https://github.com/UnlimitedStack/HideVolumeOSD

Same here but i feel like this is intentional. I don't even see an option to enable or disable this feature in settings anymore after Spotify updated today for me.

I still got the option to disable it, but it's saying that it's already disabled... When I enable it and then disable it again, the overlay is gone, but after a restart of Spotify, it's there again.

Same problem here. The workaround is to enable and disable "Show desktop overlay when using media keys" option.

Same problem here.

Turning the option on and off again does the trick as long as I don't restart Spotify

Yea, the option re-appeared in my client after i launched it again and works as described here. Once i launch an app overlay is enabled despite being disabled in options. Enabling and disabling it again fixes this until the next app restart. That's annoying.

Same problem here. It's incredibly annoying, especially when gaming.

Here's a screenshot showing the overlay even though the option is disabled. Looking forward to a fix 🙂

SpotifyOverlay.png

Re-enabling and disabling it, fixes it until you restart the program. Then the overlay will show up again while the option is set to disabled.

I have the problem too! I hate it and everytime when I (re-)start my PC or Spotify, the overlay is coming back, altough the option is still shown as disabled.

Same here. Any way to fix it?

Same thing here. Windows 10, spotify version 1.0.83.316.ge96b6e67

Same here. Please fix this issue, it's extremely annoying while gaming.

Suggested posts