Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play a large playlist

Can't play a large playlist

Windows 10. Premium. Latest Spotify.

I have a playlist with around 6,000 songs in it. I can no longer play any songs in it.

48 Replies

Hey, @After_Dark same exact issue as I have. I wonder what else could we do to get a fix. According to @Alex 's last response he stated that smart speakers can't handle requests for too large amounts of data. It seems as this is not in their hands to fix, maybe contact to the other part of the issue? The smart speaker provider

I doubt that the problem is with the Echo. As mentioned in my previous reply, network monitoring shows that the echo downloads one song at the time and not the whole playlist, so I don't see why the playlist size even matter. Maybe Spotify is pushing more info than needed to the echo, and in that case Spotify needs to address this.

Interesting fact is that randomly I am able to play a large playlist via the echo. It's a strange combination of playing on the phone and then saying "Alexa, resume Spotify". Why it sometimes works, I have no idea 🤷🏻‍.

Pretty sure it's not about amount of MBs, it's more about quotes, number of registers, indexes, etc. That's why we reach a specific number of songs (4190), not amount of MBs, and it stops working. So in my opinion,  the echo probably can't handle such big quotes, number of songs in a playlist.

When we tap on a song, spotify has to create a PLAYING FROM playlist, where you can add quotes too, and all the registers of all the songs in the playlist get indexed for it to play in proper order. So my best guess is that smart speakers counting on so small memory can't handle this big number of registries.

Exactly my point, all of that can happen on the Spotify cloud. The only info that should be sent to the Echo is the playing song MP3 file (or whatever compression they are using), why does the echo need to know about all the other 4191 songs and their associated info? After all Spotify uploads each song separately anyway.

Maybe they do need to send that data in order to let other functions work correctly. So I would think it might be more complicated, than simply increase the limit of songs quoted on the speaker device. Also it's not like spotify decides by themselves on this matters, maybe Amazon's products are limited to a specific number of songs for a reason too, otherwise they would just limit it to 1 song if they don't need all the data they are getting. Also if the echo is able to store in buffer one hq song, or a couple I would imagine, then I'm sure they could store at least twice the amount of data they're limiting now without a problem, its just plane text, ultra small

All I know is that when I play a song, even from a playlist with hundreds of songs, I see traffic about the size of one MP3 file going to the echo and then traffic subsides. Then towards the end of the song, I see traffic picks up again (probably buffering next song) and then it subsides again. Why would that be different whether the playlist has 4000 or 4200 songs is beyond me. What's important is that Spotify tests this behavior in their labs and if needed, get together with Amazon to figure it out. It will be nice to see an official message stating the limit and why, so that we can all move on with our lives 🙂

Absolutely, so now we know spotify now knows, I would say let's make sure Amazon knows about it too

Hi all, for what it's worth I think I'm experiencing the same issue in my thread here but with my Google home / Nest devices, and with my liked songs (which as far as I know, is just a big playlist too?). I tried copying all my liked songs into a new playlist and that has the same problem so I think it is the same problem of large playlists. The fact this issue is happening with Amazon and Google devices means I think it may be a Spotify issue.

2 weeks ago I replaced my 2nd gen Echo Dot with the 3rd gen. Problem solved. I guess the newer device has more memory or compute power to deal wu]ith the larger playlist. I do find it strange, the list is managed on the Spotify cloud and the Echo only downloads or streams one song at a a time 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m just happy it fixed this issue. It also fixed the issue where randomly music would pause for a few seconds and then continue.

I too am having this trouble when trying to play a playlist with 3,670 songs on my Macbook Pro and through the Roku app. When on my Mac it says "Spotify Can't Play This Right Now" and when trying to play it on my Roku it will play like three songs before freezing.

I'm having the same issue with a 350 song playlist.  I repeats the same ~25 songs.

Have a similar issue on Mac / Android, posted details here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Liked-songs-not-playing-on-Google-Home/td-p/5328090

I don't know why but this is still an issue, and a pretty bad one at that. No workarounds just complete failure.

Sorry the workarounds in this thread aren't actually workarounds. Fix your spotty software Spotify.

My Question or Issue

Whenever I try to stream my 5000-songs playlist to Alexa, I receive no response: not only I can't shuffle play, but I also am not able to play any song of the playlist.

This issue doesn't show up when I stream smaller playlists.

Hi there,

Thanks for all your replies and for the info shared.

We've passed this info on to our tech team. Now, to continue investigating this further, we'll need some examples of the playlists in which you noticed this behavior. So, would you mind sending us the links to said playlists? You can follow the steps in this article to do it.

Once we have that info, we'll pass it to our tech folks so they can continue isolating this inconvenience.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the info shared 🙂

We've gone ahead and passed this important info on to the tech team. Any news will be posted in this thread, so stay tuned. We recommend subscribing to this thread on the three dot menu; that way you'll be up to date.

We'll be in the lookout!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hello, same here, Does not wok on pc or phone, but strangely on the web player is still ok. Another thing is that the option to backup my playlist as its written on the internet is not available when I right click on my playlist.

Suggested posts