Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't run or un/reinstall!

Solved!

Can't run or un/reinstall!

Hey y'all, I updated to the most recent version of Spotify last week, and since then I haven't been able to run it, like, at all. It shows up in Task Manager but doesn't actually open. Whenever I try and uninstall it via the Control Panel, it just tries opening the application again unsuccessfully. When I try to reinstall it, it says it's downloading it, then tries to open again, with the same result. This is on Windows 10 btw.

Help?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi.

Can you try to do a clean installation in safe mode?

Here's a guide how to do a "clean installtion" on Windows.

Uninstall Spotify.

Go to "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage" and delete everything inside the folder.

Also delete the folder "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\"

Delete the Spotify folders in "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming"
"C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local"

Reinstall.

Here's installer that should contain a full version of Spotify:
http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

If it doesn't help try the same method in safe mode:
https://support.microsoft.com/sv-se/search?query=Safe%20mode%20windows
Add Windows version you use for information on how to enable safe mode.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Ok I finally managed to get it reinstalled. Thanks. My problem was that I successfully deleted the first thing you asked us to, but when I tried to find the second, my computer said it didn't exist. Then when I tried to find third, I got the same message from the previous search entry, but only because I didn't realize that there were two different locations in that third item and copied them as a single search entry. LOL Might edit your instructions to make that easier to see for us feeble minded and less technically adept folks. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi.

Can you try to do a clean installation in safe mode?

Here's a guide how to do a "clean installtion" on Windows.

Uninstall Spotify.

Go to "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage" and delete everything inside the folder.

Also delete the folder "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\"

Delete the Spotify folders in "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming"
"C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local"

Reinstall.

Here's installer that should contain a full version of Spotify:
http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

If it doesn't help try the same method in safe mode:
https://support.microsoft.com/sv-se/search?query=Safe%20mode%20windows
Add Windows version you use for information on how to enable safe mode.

I'm having the same problem starting yesterday. 

Brief description of the issue: Won't open, won't uninstall. Just shows up in task manager.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. First I did this: Tried to open and does nothing but start an app in task manager that does nothing.
  2. Then I did that: Tried to open again with same results.
  3. I also did this: Followed advice on this thread about deleting files. Tried to uninstall with same results.

What steps you’ve tried already: All that I'm aware of. Software won't do anything for me.

Your device and operating system (e.g. MacBook Air, 10.10 OSX): Lenovo desktop Windows 7

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using: Don't know because it won't open.

Any screenshots, if they can help to explain your issue: I could give you a screenshot of my desktop but clicking on the Spotify icon does nothing other than briefly show the busy icon then resume as if nothing ever happened, leaving only an open task in the task manager. Trying to unistall does the exact same thing as trying to open the player.

Help!

This is what happens when I uninstall. Then it just sits idle. Nothing else happens. Same results when trying to open. Sometimes a task called WebH appears as well but that doesn't change anything as far as the results.

spotify.PNG

Just remembered that I briefly saw the update or installing notice upon trying to open  just before problems started so maybe there's something in the latest version. Did y'all release something yesterday? Hasn't worked since.

thanks ErikG! It worked.

@edfmaniac

Have you tried the clean installation in safe mode? How to do it is mentioned in earlier reply.

Don't you have to uninstall first? I assumed that was the case so no, I haven't tried to install anything yet.

Yes it does but you may be able to uninstall in safe mode, less things that can interfere. A tip is to check if you can find any processes in the task manager in safe mode and try to close/end them before you uninstall.

Ok. I tried to uninstall in safe mode after confirming that there was no Spotify application open in the Task Manager. The only result was to create what looks to be the same application that appears when trying to open Spotify. Same when I try to use the installation link you provided. It will download, but when I try to run it, same result with the application popping up in the Task Manager.

I did find some info in the uninstall window though. The current version was installed today, probably just after midnight since I remember this happening yesterday some time, and is version 1.0.47.13.gd8e05b1f

Looks like I can't solve this for you. You can contact Spotify support here:
Contact form:
https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/spotifycares

Be ready to give information on your setup and what you have tried to do to solve the problem. Note that you might have to reply to a no-reply email if you use contact form.
Marked as solution

Ok I finally managed to get it reinstalled. Thanks. My problem was that I successfully deleted the first thing you asked us to, but when I tried to find the second, my computer said it didn't exist. Then when I tried to find third, I got the same message from the previous search entry, but only because I didn't realize that there were two different locations in that third item and copied them as a single search entry. LOL Might edit your instructions to make that easier to see for us feeble minded and less technically adept folks. Thanks again.

This worked, thanks so much for saving my sanity! Just need to redownload over 2,000 songs now 😛

The great guide from ErikG helped to get a proper reinstall and now my Spotify on Windows is working fine again.

One additional tip: There's a shortcut "environmental variable" in Windows that help you reach the folder C:\Users\%Username%\AppData quickly:

Simply enter %appdata% into the address bar of your file explorer and hit enter. Voilà! 

Found this post useful? Please like below. Answered your question? Mark it as a solution to help others, Thanks.

test

Suggested posts