Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cant Play Music on a different computer

Cant Play Music on a different computer

Hello, 

I face the problem of me not beeing able to play music from my account on a different computer within the same house.

On my computer and Android everything works - on a different computer spotify first loads tons of random music i dont know and then proceeds to play that random music without me beeing able to play ANYTHING else (cant play another playlist or even change within the queue) and i cant even press forward or backward, i can only press play and pause and skip to the end so the next song plays, which, again, is nothing i would have in my Queue.

(I have premium, if that matters at all)

Already tried to reinstall, delete cache, disconnected all accounts and tried it on the other computer, tried to de-/activate the high quality thing, and hardware acceleration - non of that helps.

- I'm also not offline or connected to Facebook for that matter

8 Replies

Hello @vetta,

Sorry to hear this happen. To make sure it is either the app or the computer, try logging on to that computer with a different Spotify account and see if it works. Get back to me with the answer so I can further help you troubleshoot this issue.

Hello!

Thanks for the respons and great idea, but didnt work.

I tried it now from a Facebook Linked Account.

I cant play any song - aswell when i start a public Playlist from "Browse" or so, i can click "play" (on the playlist) but no music is played, the "Pause" Button appears but it does nothing (at the end no music is played anyway)

So i suppose its the computer that has a problem with spotify, although it did work on it like half a year-year or so.

Okay then try this.

• Basic troubleshooting

Go through these steps one at a time. They can help you solve most issues on your own.

1. Follow the steps here to reinstall the Spotify app.
    (Important: Make sure you restart your device during this).
  2. Check this thread for troubleshooting connection issues.
  3. Try logging into Spotify over a different Internet connection, if possible.
  4. Ask a friend or family member to sign into Spotify on your Desktop. See if the issue is persisting on their account too. If yes, the issue is the device and can likely be solved with more troubleshooting.
  5. Change settings within the app: Sync qualityStream QualityGapless PlaybackCrossfade. See if a different combination of these settings makes a difference.

The connection issues cant be the case since it works on my usual computer within the same house, within the same network AND from my android.

Anyway, i tried to deactivate my Antirvir and Firewalls, but the problem remains.

I tried the basic troubleshooting already, i googled for solutions and searched within this board. 

This thread is basically my last hope for a solution. 

The next step would be to clean-install windows on the other computer. But i wanted to make sure that i took all solutions into concideration.

edit:

Btw since yesterday my Queue emptied and now i cant play anything at all

Nevermind, now it did load a playlist but rushed through it, and again, cant skip to anyother song or play one (can only skip to the end of the song and the next one plays).

Im currently looking to update every driver i can find on that computer, maybe that works.

Updating didnt help.

At the start up, tho, it loads and plays alot of differente songs (like less than 0.5s each) and stops at one song. From then on i cant do anything.

Another problem showed up now, when i pause a song, its paused for about half a min and then starts playing from the beginning without me pressing play.

WebSpotify works, btw, we're currently working with that. Its still a nuisance that the desktop version wont work on that computer.

So i suppose there is no fix to this, huh.

Hey @vetta

This sounds really weird!

Let's try a clean reinstall to tackle this issue - this is how it's done:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.

2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Install Spotify.

Keep me in the loop 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Already tried that - thats what i meant when i said "i deleted cache and temporary files". 

At this point i assume somethings wrong with any of the windows driver. Since the problem is only on that computer, regardless of the installation and regardless of the account in use.

Now i either need to figure out which driver goes nuts or clean install windows (which would be ridiculous 😄 )

I even considered recording this to show whats happening.

@vetta

A clean OS reinstall is indeed a major step. Likely useful, but major.

You can try reinstalling Spotify again doing the clean install, but try installing the offline installer this time to see what happens.

A recording of your issue may be useful! 🙂

Also, let me know what is the exact version of Windows you're running, and if this odd issue has always been there or it started happening recently.
Can you recall any events from before it started happening?

Keep me in the loop!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts