Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changes to Friend Activity

Changes to Friend Activity

With Friend Activity you can see what your friends are listening to. Personally, I love Friend Activity because I can really get to know my friends’ tastes in music and dive right into what they’re listening to.

As of recently, if you want to continue sharing what you're listening to, you will need to enable it for your followers in Settings. If you’ve never turned this setting on before, you’ll need to turn it on to share your activity with your followers. This way, you’re always in control of what you’re sharing.

Hubo_0-1638967951767.png

Also, you may find that you don't see much activity from those you follow - that's because they might not have turned this setting on yet. Let them know you want to dig in on the cool stuff they're listening to! 

Check out this article for more information about Friend Activity. 

You can also block followers if you don’t want them to view your listening activity. Check out the steps under: ‘Block someone’ here for more information.

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
232 Replies

Hey @thezeek93,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you let us know if it's always the same 3 friends or if it's random ones at different times?

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan Free

Country israel

Device

pc

Operating System

windows

My Question or Issue

share my listening on spotify is enabled yet spotify tells me i need to enable it.

Liam53_1-1643917785778.png

Hey @Liam53, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Your friends should be able to see your activity if you have turned it on.

Just ask them to turn it on their end as well so you can see their activity on the sidebar. To learn more about Friend Activity I'd suggest checking this support article.

Hope it helps 🙂

My Question or Issue

Hi,

I have issue that friend activity is frozen. I have this issue more than 1-2 weeks ig. App is up to date, OS is up to date, I tried restarting the app, relogging and reinstalling Spotify, nothing helped. Any ideas what can I do with this? I'm using Windows Defender but even when it's disabled it's still forzen.

Operating System

Windows 10

my friend wont show up on my friend activity, he has his share listening on and i have my friend display on, it wont show him specifically. it shows my other friends perfectly fine.

Hey @kubajs,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you let us know if you can see your friends in the Friend activity tab and their activity is not updating, or you can't see your friends at all?

It would be best if you attach a screenshot as well.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Hey @controlplug,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Your friend needs to have listened to at least 30 seconds of music with Private Session switched OFF. Please check that with them.

If they have, and you still don't see them in the Friends tab, try logging out and back in twice in a row. This will force the connection between your account and the servers to update.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

AlexModerator

Hi, so I basically have an issue because I can't see what songs my friends are playing which sucks because Ive never really added my friends on spotify until recently and still cant seee what songs their playing, I have enabled everything in my settings and we both follow each other, see the attachment below pls gell!

Plan

Premium

Country

England

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

AB6E4BBC-5214-4D4A-B13A-9727E97E1A93.png
4F216510-4BDB-49D8-8829-FFC55A1C4AF3.png
AE4269F9-A0CC-4EDD-9D55-AD23AC6F12D6.png

Same problem here. Spotify seems to deny the issue suggesting friends have not turned on the setting... however I've confirmed this to not be the case for me. I am watching them listen to music right now and we follow each other.. and both of us have the setting on.

Its seriously so annoying!! Me n my friends have similar music tastes and id like to know what their listining to so I could know new music that I might like, I seriously hope there is a fix soon

Hi! 

Same as you, I have the same problem now and I've had if for few weeks. It's really frustrating to only see two friends when I used to see over 20. 

I've been having the same problem for months now too - still nothing has been done about it 😞

Friends have toggled on/off to test, we've reinstalled etc. Nothing

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

My friend activity is not working. 

It says to go into settings > social and enable 'share my listening activity on Spotify', however I have already enabled this option. I have tried reenabling it, I have tried reinstalling Spotify. Nothing has worked.

Faarrrrrk.JPG
saaaaaake.JPG

Hey @ebbarundqvist,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Just to double-check-are there any changes when your friends turn on the option Share my listening activity on Spotify?

Can you see the same 3 friends or different friends at different times?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here.

Could you provide us with the following info if you haven't already? We'll look into this further.

• If your friends have the option Share my listening activity on Spotify turned on
  • What device they used
  • What they were listening to and when

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Hi @Brisbaneborn,

Thank you for reaching out!

Certainly, the default setting to share listening activity was set to off, this means that those who had it on before without explicitly setting it on, now have it switched off. This would explain why your feed hasn't been updated in days.

In this case, please ask your friends to turn this option on in their settings if they want to share their listening activity.

image.png

After making completely sure that your friends have activated the setting, try unfollowing and following again one of the friends that's had recent activity.

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator

Hi!

There's no difference, I can only see the same 3 friends.

Best regards
Ebba

Since Yesterday i cant See the activity of some of my Friends in the friends feed. I Know there were recent changes made to every user's settings, in which the default setting to share listening activity has been globally set to OFF. 

I Know some people dont know about this and normaly dont change any settings in Spotify. 

But I would love to See the Activity of my Friends again! 

Maybe you could put a button or something like the solution of the "private Session" so everyone can see where to click on the main page (in the App) to allow sharing their own activity or maybe Just undo the change.

Hi folks,

Thanks for your replies!

Could you try the following:

1. Log out and back in twice in a row. This will force synchronizing your account with the servers.
  2. Go to a friend's profile and unfollow them, then follow them back. After that, restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

no. not a solution. I have already been through the creation of a new account twice. They made the changes they need to fix it for existing users. I will loose my followers if doing this.

Suggested posts