Close button should minimize and Alt-F4

Plan

Premium

Country

CZ

Operating System

Windows 10, Windows 11

My Question or Issue

It worked for a long time that setting "Close button should minimize" worked for Alt-F4 keyboard shortcut as well. With some recent update, this shortcut closes the app. For the Spotify has an explicit Exit command with Ctrl-Shift-Q shortcut, I suggest the general Windows close window shortcut should behave the same as clicking the close button.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @Johny_W,

Thanks for your reply and the info. 

We understand you'd like the combination Alt + F4 to work as the Close button should minimize the Spotify window option. However, right now pressing that shortcut will completely close Spotify. Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback and for letting us know. We always aim to improve, so we’ll get this passed on to the right team.

If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi @Johny_W,

Thanks for reaching out. We'll be glad to clear up the functionality for you. When the "Close button should minimize option" is turned on, the close button will close the Spotify window, but the app will remain open in the system tray, meaning you can still reopen it quickly. To keep the window itself open, you should use the minimize button.

Hope this clears things up.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi @Joan,

definitely, the option's name is misleading (I would say it was named properly in the past, but I'm not sure). Apart that, my concern is precisely "hiding the app to system tray" for I don't want the window to be present in the Alt-Tab list.

So back to the issue report: the app accepted Alt-F4 as the 'close button click' in the past, but that has unfortunately ceased to work recently (currently it terminates the app). I would be glad if this feature were back.

Marked as solution

Hi there @Johny_W,

Thanks for your reply and the info. 

We understand you'd like the combination Alt + F4 to work as the Close button should minimize the Spotify window option. However, right now pressing that shortcut will completely close Spotify. Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback and for letting us know. We always aim to improve, so we’ll get this passed on to the right team.

If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Susan_GPModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

+1

I guess it's debatable but Alt-F4 should behave like the top-right X close button, so it'd be nice if Alt-F4 also followed the "Close button should minimize the Spotify window" setting.

For example, Slack and Skype minimize to tray on Alt-F4... though there are counter-examples too like Discord...

+1, please fix this. We all understand what Spotify aims to do, we just think it's the wrong approach.

Suggested posts