Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Crashing immediately/after pressing play (PC)

Crashing immediately/after pressing play (PC)

I've seen a number of posts similar to this problem, but they have been for Mac rather than PC.

I'm running Spotify Unlimited on Windows 7 Starter 32-bit Service Pack 1 and at first the problem was that Spotify would immediately crash without even opening. I did a clean reinstall and now the problem is that it crashes and closes down when I press play on any song. I get no error message.

Sorry if this is reposting, but any help would be appreciated!

11 Replies

Please could you view your system error log for any issues, and run Spotify via the command line to check for error output?

Liam

Couldn't find anything on the error log. I've tried running via command prompt but it's error message is 'The system cannot find the file spotify.exe'.

@hoejiggins wrote:

Couldn't find anything on the error log. I've tried running via command prompt but it's error message is 'The system cannot find the file spotify.exe'.

Did you go to the file path? It's normally "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe" 🙂

Followed the file path, but I'm still getting the same problem. When I press play on a song it immediately crashes.

@hoejiggins wrote:

Followed the file path, but I'm still getting the same problem. When I press play on a song it immediately crashes.

I'm trying to help find and error 😕

Please could you try a reinstall? Also, uninstall any codecs that may be clashing with Spotify.

Liam

Have you tried going to Edit > Preferences > Playback > Untick Enable Hardware Acceleration? 

It can cause some sound card driver issues sometimes!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:

Have you tried going to Edit > Preferences > Playback > Untick Enable Hardware Acceleration? 

It can cause some sound card driver issues sometimes!

Peter

Can't believe I forgot to suggest that - yes, try that 😛

I'll give it a try but I'll have to let you know if it worked tomorrow, internet at home is down!!

Oh know! I don't know how you survive - I wouldn't 😛

Please do let us know 🙂

Gah it didn't work. Still the same problem 😞

I restarted everything and ran through the event log again and came across this, don't know whether it could be related:

Faulting application name: BTPlayerCtrl.exe, version: 1.1.0.51, time stamp: 0x4d6e5c3a
Faulting module name: DSOUND.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd9fd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00001b23
Faulting process id: 0x23c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce78af02a6fe21
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Intel\Bluetooth\BTPlayerCtrl.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\system32\DSOUND.dll
Report Id: 4159605f-e4a2-11e2-b1b9-dca971897a64

Suggested posts