Premium

Country

UK 

Device

Windows PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Crossfade has suddenly just stopped working? listening to JMJ - Equinoxe Infinity and that really needs a crossfade but nothing i do seems to get it to work, yes it is turned on and currently right up to 12 seconds..

Whats happened? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@ThorZ666

Crossfade works beautifully on playlists. 🙂

It's not working on albums, because some albums already have songs running into each other (such as the Amon Tobin and Cujo albums) and additional crossfading will likely just ruin it. Artists wish users to hear the albums the way they produced them.

Albums on Spotify are provided by artists as they are. I have a Demon Days CD (Gorillaz), the last 2 tracks on it run into each other on the CD, but in Spotify the second last track fades before the last starts to play.

It's strange to hear this when you play these tracks together, but it makes sense why they provide 'gappy' versions - users on Spotify create playlists, and tracks that are designed to run into each other sound a little off in there.

I have a few tracks that build up at the end to enter the next track (in the album), but in my playlist, the buildup ends abruptly and a completely unrelated track starts to play. I feel guilty each time... :')

Hope this helps! I'm happy to assist if you have more questions 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hey @ThorZ666

Is this happening only when listening to this album, or is this happening in playlists too?

Albums are not crossfaded. Sometimes album tracks are already running into each other by production, additional crossfading simply ruins it. 🙂

Doesn't matter whether you hit play on album page or when you queue it.

Let me know what's happening!

SebastySpotify Star

Yes worth checking, for e.g. the Beatles Love album is sequenced so it plays seamless, no crossroad required. If you have any music synced offline try the crossfade on those? 

I mean i have crossfade turned on and you can see that the other track doesnt start playing, now i know that JMJ designed this album to be a long continuous track and there is that option but ive noticed this with my other albums aswell. Track will play and end then the next one starts, where usually of course i can hear the next track coming in. This is noticable on my Mac aswell, really confused as to why its stopped working.  Same for my mobile and offline synced tracks? :-S 

@ThorZ666

The JMJ album does sound like it should be a continuous album.

I actually checked the gapless playback with Amon Tobin (Out From Out Where) and Cujo (Adventures In Foam) albums that have songs melting into each other, and there are no issues with them. Crossfade doesn't affect them either, by the way.

That JMJ album has one track called Continuous Mix at the end. I feel like the producer decided to provide both album versions - with a gap and without a gap, and that Continuous Mix is the gapless version.

I'm happy to check out the other albums you have questions about 🙂

Hope this helps!

SebastySpotify Star

Oh so i mis understood that some albums on spotify crossfade doesnt work or isnt compatiable? I put a playlist on i created and the crossfade is fine.  You learn somthing new i guess? 

https://open.spotify.com/user/th0rz/playlist/0d7ejTXGnD2lD0EwqAhc2I?si=e1eCIny1Tr2dPs5lc_rIeQ

Marked as solution

@ThorZ666

Crossfade works beautifully on playlists. 🙂

It's not working on albums, because some albums already have songs running into each other (such as the Amon Tobin and Cujo albums) and additional crossfading will likely just ruin it. Artists wish users to hear the albums the way they produced them.

Albums on Spotify are provided by artists as they are. I have a Demon Days CD (Gorillaz), the last 2 tracks on it run into each other on the CD, but in Spotify the second last track fades before the last starts to play.

It's strange to hear this when you play these tracks together, but it makes sense why they provide 'gappy' versions - users on Spotify create playlists, and tracks that are designed to run into each other sound a little off in there.

I have a few tracks that build up at the end to enter the next track (in the album), but in my playlist, the buildup ends abruptly and a completely unrelated track starts to play. I feel guilty each time... :')

Hope this helps! I'm happy to assist if you have more questions 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

The best one solution is keep buying physical CDs and play them into the VLC Media Player or Windows Media Player, Spotify it is just worst than ever. 

This is absolute BULLSHHH. The albums that are supposed to have a natural crossfade now have a gross gap between them, which is what the setting for crossfade is SUPPOSED TO HELP. You need to FIX THIS SPOTIFY! So horrible.

Suggested posts