Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop App not working, can't update

Desktop App not working, can't update

I have been having problems with the Spotify desktop app for the past few weeks. Whenever I click on the shortcut to launch it, the window appears for several seconds and then it crashes and disappears. I thought it was a bug and that if I downloaded the latest update it would be resolved. I went to the site to download it and was told that I needed Windows 10 or later. So now I'm stuck with an app that won't work and I assume that if I uninstall/reinstall it, I'll have the same issue and be told I need Windows 10.  Yeah I know, I should have Windows 10 by now but I have no idea if my current desktop has enough disk space/memory for it... I have it about 8-9 years but it still runs fine and I can't really afford to get a brand new computer right now. I know these are all excuses but it's true. 

On the upside, the web player seems to work fine for me so I guess I'll use that and just ditch the desktop app if it won't work. But it would be nice if there was a way to resolve it without having to fork over $1000 for a new desktop computer with Windows 10. 

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

Windows Desktop 

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional

2 Replies

Hey @geodegrl2251,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

The support for Windows 7 was dropped some time ago and that's the reason for this behavior.

If you're not able to use a Windows 10 PC, you can continue using the web player.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you Spotify! It's really nice to pay you this way.
@geodegrl2251, for now it works for me with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit the 1.2.5.1006.g22820f93 Spotify's
version.
I hope this is resolved correctly and with an 
OFFICIAL response from those who receive our money: Spotify.

Suggested posts