[Desktop] Recently Played not updating correctly

Plan

Free

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

After the latest update the Recently Played section no longer updates correctly on the PC version of the app. The section only shows whatever it is that I'm currently listening to plus a song that I viewed (but never actually listened to) from almost a month ago. If I listen to more than one than one playlist/artist while in the app it will all show up in my Recently Played, however, if I close and restart the app my Recently Played will revert to only showing the very last item I listened to plus the previously mentioned song. 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my PC and it didn't solve the problem. I also have Spotify installed on my phone and my Recently Played section has been updating correctly on there, my only issue is with the PC version.

22 Replies

Hi @radiosttatic,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

This is a known issue affecting some users. We've reported this to the right team at Spotify who've informed us that this is being worked on.

You can subscribe and add your +Vote to this Ongoing Issue thread to keep up to date with any development.

Some things that could help:

• Perform a clean reinstall as per this Guide.
  • Log out Everywhere. This will force sync your account with the servers and updates the information on your Home page.

Hope this info helps 🙂

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, Alex.

The ongoing issue that you linked in from ‎2019 and set to "Not Right Now". Is it really possible that the issue has not been fixed in two years?

Hi Alex, I tried both of the solutions you suggested but neither of them fixed the issue. I checked out the post that you linked but it seems like this has been a well known issue since 2019, and that a solution isn't going to happen anytime soon. It's really disappointing to learn that this has been an ongoing issue for such a long period of time and nothing has been done to fix it.

Hi there @radiosttatic,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

Also, if you log in with another account on the device, does the recently played get updated?

As mentioned in the statues of the ongoing issue - the right folks are looking into this. We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy,

I tried using a different internet connection as you suggested and that did not fix the problem either. I wasn't able to try your second solution as I don't have a second account I could use to login in with, but I have tried logging myself out and then back into the account and that did not work. 

Hi again @radiosttatic,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

If you log in with your account on a different device, does the recently played update then?

You can also create a new free account to test if you get the same behavior on your PC.

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi again Jeremy, 

I apologize for my late response to this but I've been occupied with real life things at moment. As I mentioned in my initial post my recently played updates just fine on the mobile app, which I am logged in to with the same account. In response to your second solution I'll be honest and say that I really do not want to go through the trouble of creating myself a second account just to test and see if the same issue applies before deleting the account. The ongoing issue post that was previously shared shows that others have been having this problem for years so I genuinely don't understand why it is that I should make a second account to prove that this is a real issue and not something that is only affecting me. Between this and the awful layout changes brought in the newest updating I'm honestly considering switching to a different music service.

Hey @radiosttatic,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

In case you're using the app from our website, could you try with the one from the Microsoft store to see if anything changes?

If there are no changes, could you share with us the exact Spotify version that is running on your PC? We'll investigate this further.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

Hi Ver,

I'm having the exact same issue as radiosttatic and I'm using Microsoft Store app. The version is 1.1.58.820.
The 'Recently played' on my Android is working fine and proper (though there's a different issue with a 'Good morning/afternoon/evening' section not updating).

Hey @UndIstize,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

It's a good idea to give the steps mentioned in the thread a go.

We'd suggest you also try using the app from our website in case you're using the one from the Microsoft store. Does the issue persist? 

In case nothing changes, could you share with us the exact Spotify version that is running on your device? We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator

Hi Ver, 
I am using the Spotify app from the Microsoft store, I wasn't aware that you could download it from the Spotify website as well. The version number I'm using is 1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a

Hey again @radiosttatic

Thanks for getting back to us with this info. 

Would you mind giving it a try downloading the app directly from the website to see if it makes any difference?

If this doesn't do the trick, let us know if the same thing happens when you use the web player.

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi Ver,

I've tried everything mentioned before as well as installing a website version instead of a Microsoft Store one and the issue still persists. The website version is 1.1.58.820. I've also updated the Microsoft Store version to 1.1.59.712 but it didn't help.

Hi @UndIstize

Thanks for the info.

We'd recommend giving these steps a try, in order to check your host files

Let us know if you notice any difference. 

NovyModerator

Hi Novy,

My hosts file is clean, no entries whatsoever.

Hi again @UndIstize

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

In this case, would you mind sending over some screenshots where we can see how the Recently played section looks on both devices?

You can attach them to your next response to us by using the Insert Photos option in the post editor.

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator

Hi Novy, 

I tried to download the Spotify directly from the website and I'm still continuing to have the same problem.  Using the web player actually seemed to make the issue worse, as my Recently Played did not update at all when I used it.

I checked my host files like you recommended to Frenziey and there are no entries in it. 

I'm attaching screenshots of what my Recently Played looks like on both my computer and my phone. The last song appearing on my desktop Recently Played (Just One Day) is the one that I mentioned in my initial post, that song remains there despite the fact that I've never actually listened to it. I viewed the song in the app before the update, but did not play it, and it's been in my Recently Played since the last update to the app. 

Android App - Updating correctlyAndroid App - Updating correctlyDesktop - Not updatingDesktop - Not updating

Hey @radiosttatic

Thanks for providing us with some more info. 

Just to confirm, do you still observe this after logging in to your Spotify account on a different device? Make sure you check this in order to see if the issue might be related to the specific device setup. 

If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up-to-speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Hi Novy,

DesktopDesktop

AndroidAndroid

The desktop version is incorrect, the android works just fine.

Suggested posts