[Desktop] White Boxes after update

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Operating System

(Windows 11)

My Question or Issue

White boxes have started showing up around my Spotify player. This has only started after the update. Does anyone know a fix?

astroace_0-1652447272038.png

you can see one in the top right corner, but they come in varying sizes across varying parts of my screen.

34 Replies

I'm having the same issue on Windows 10.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your inputs so far.

Does this issue occur when you switch Spotify from the background to foreground? Are you experiencing this only when the app is maximized, or maybe when the screen wakes up?

You can give these steps a try to see if that would do the trick:

1. Fully close the Spotify app (make sure it's not running in the Task Manager) and go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\.
  2. There you'll find a file called prefs, which holds info about the currently logged in account. Simply delete it.
  3. While in the Spotify folder, you'll also find a Users folder. Open it and delete its contents as well.
  4. Restart the Spotify app.

Note that you'll be logged out and your settings will be reset, so you'll have to adjust them again. If you had music downloaded for offline listening, you'll have to re-download it as well. Your library, however, will not be affected, so no worries there.

Something else you can test is disabling / reenabling Hardware Acceleration to see if it would have any effect. This is done by clicking on the three dots menu in the upper left corner > View > Hardware Acceleration.

Let us know how it goes.

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

im getting the same issue too (windows 11)

Hey there @ozer2

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Could you let us know if you've already tried the troubleshooting steps mentioned previously in this thread?

If so, would you mind sending us the info @Kiril asked for? This will help us further investigate. 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Instead of suggesting manual super user tricks just tell the devs its the new adaptive render mechanic you guys implemented that breaks it.

Folks, have you noticed this occurring after doing something in particular, for example playing an album, creating a new playlist, following someone etc., or does it happen at random by itself, without you doing anything? This will help us narrow down the cause of the issue.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is tricky, as it don't happen every time. Usually I get those blinking boxes when: Spotify is full screen, search user (with lot of playlists) and show all. When scrolling down and hover mouse over the playlists, sometimes the boxes blink randomly.

After testing this.. Direct link to some playlist and the screen is like a christmas tree.

One thing is looking playlists and scrolling fast up/down. This is how the average user uses applications: fast - when searching something.. Free that mouse scrolling wheel and test 😃 

I have the same annoyances. Needs fixes.

Windows 10, Spotify app 1.1.85.895.g2a71e1b8

Randomly appears white boxes all over.

I'm having the same issue. It doesn't happen very often. I solve it by clicking the button with the occuring problem (because it mostly shows up on buttons like the "settings" button) or re-opening Spotify. Spotify for Windows

1.1.85.895.g2a71e1b8

Windows 10 Home

Version 21H2

I'm having the same issue. It doesn't happen very often. I solve it by clicking the button with the occuring problem (because it mostly shows up on buttons like the "settings" button) or re-opening Spotify. Spotify for Windows 1.1.85.895.g2a71e1b8 Windows 10 Home Version 21H2

Version

Windows 10
1.1.85.895.g2a71e1b8

My Issue

Fullscreen window has issues and shows white squares that disappear when refreshing the local object (e.g. hovering over the button, or changing the window size)

Screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1knLiWQ_UN3k8ZLnHcoRqdP9y8eXiRZ_1/view?usp=sharing

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and the information that you've provided.

Just to confirm, have you tried the troubleshooting steps that's been mentioned in the thread? 

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Not having this issue for a while, is it fixed?

Guys, just restart the computer, it fixes it. I had the worst case of this white box, rather than having to wait for ages for Mr Spotify to respond. 
You're welcome. Spotify should hire me.

After the program has been is use for a few hours the screen will become more and more populated with white squares of varying sizes. They will occasional move around while scrolling. Eventually the app is unusable and I have t to close and reopen. I have had this problem for months, so it is not related to a current update. Turned off Hardware Acceleration in Settings, and immediately the problem was solved. Also, scrolling of my Playlists and Library are now smoother (I have hundreds of albums cataloged). This is on a Windows 10 laptop that is mostly used exclusively for playing music on Spotify.

Suggested posts