Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop app completey unusable - every song says "spotify cant play this right now..."

Desktop app completey unusable - every song says "spotify cant play this right now..."

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Win10

My Question or Issue

"Spotify can't play this right now.  If you have the file on your computer you can import it." is displayed for any song I try to play.  It is completely unusable for the last week, despite trying multiple clean installs per the official documentation.

Internet is not the issue because it works on all other devices on the same network.  Please help

10 Replies

Same issue!! No songs playable. I can see new podcasts released today so Spotify can connect to the Internet, but nothing can be played. Local songs are playable.

Have tried restart, reinstall, looking at hosts file, changing speaker sound quality in Windows. Seems to be a Spotify issue that popped up in the last few days.

Hi folks, 

Thank you for posting on the Community! 

Even if you've already tried reinstalling the app, please do it one more time following these steps for a clean reinstall, as they are more thorough than a regular one. Then, make sure to download the app directly from the Microsoft Store. 

In case it doesn't work, could you temporarily disable your Firewall and check how it works?

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem. All songs are grayed out in the Windows 10 app. They are avalaible on my Android, but not on my PC. I have reinstalled the app (clean reinstall), it didn't change anything.

Hi @user-removed,

Thank you for posting on this thread!

Please let us know if you've tried downloading the app from the Microsoft Store after running the reinstall. If not, please give it a try. 

If the issue persists, also try disabling your Firewall to see if there's a change. It's also worth testing the Web Player to know if the issue is isolated to the app, or if it's something else.

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

Hello, 

No, for some reason, it couldn't be downloaded from the store. So I downloaded it from spotify.com.

I tried to change my DNS to Google's DNS and then to Cloudflare's DNS, it didn't help.

And then, today, it worked again.

I don't really know what happened.

Regards,

Cyril

Hi there @user-removed,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're glad to see that everything works as it should for you again.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

This problem exist since 11 years ago I have been using Spotify.
Desktop application for windows doesnt work with external audio device. I have experimented that in 5 diferent PC. I have to use the web solution. I have been paying 10€/month from 11 years ago and I have not had any apology or money back from Spotify. I know there are thousands of users with the same problem. Incredible!

Diferent external audio devices, that runs perfectly in other OS like Mac OS and that runs perfectly in these diferent PC I have mentioned with the web based aplication.

The reinstall is not a solution. This is a pantomime answer that shows Spotify's unwillingness to fix the issue. I have lost many hours attending technical support.

Kind regards.

Hi @Golosamendi,

Thank you for posting on the Community, and welcome. 

We're sorry to hear about all these issues you've had with your playback, we'll be here to help you sort it out. 

Since this is happening across multiple computers and using different audio devices, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

If it doesn't work, please let us know your devices' specifications: make, model and operating system version, as well as the information of your audio devices. This will help us investigate further. 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

this happening not only on my laptop but also on my phone. i cant figure it out but when i looked it up it said to update my phone/computer but that also did not work.

Hey @8green8bear8,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread? If not, then please do and let us know if they've helped.

Also, please let us know your device models, OS versions and Spotify versions and whether the issue persists when using a different connection by a different provider. 

Looking forward to your reply.

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts