Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop app not showing up as a device

Solved!

Desktop app not showing up as a device

Plan: Premium

System / Version: Windows 11 / Spotify for Windows
1.2.0.1010.g8b46abb2

Details: I have been having an issue for a few months with the desktop app not showing up to Spotify as a source. Even when I have music actively playing on my desktop, I can open any other device that is connected to my account, and it does not show anything playing. I also cannot see it on the device list for any device. When I attempt to use "Get Available Devices" it returns no devices (Please refer to photo attached). Other devices do show up in the list, such as my phone when they are playing.

I have uninstalled Spotify on my desktop twice following the instructions posted by a staff member and making sure to clear any temp files and restart my system.

https://i.imgur.com/94EXITu.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey Vasil. I just wanted to share what I found fixed this issue. It turned out that my WMI was corrupt and not functioning. These were the steps I followed and it fixed my issue.

Click Start, click Run, type wmimgmt.msc, and then click OK.

Right-click WMI Control (Local), and then click Properties.

I saw Win32_Process was a invalid class I follow this step for repair my WMI, and it work

In the start menu type "cmd"

Type "net stop winmgmt" and press Enter

Open a Windows Explorer and locate the path to C:\ windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like RepositoryOLD (right click and choose 'Rename Folder').

restart the computer

Type "net stop winmgmt" and press enter

Type "winmgmt /resetRepository" and restart the computer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey @DerpTurtle,

Sorry to see this has been happening to you!

I'm assuming you're certain you're logged into the correct account, so let's rule this one out.

And by following the instructions, I'm assuming you're referring to these steps here.

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work for us, all we see is a dot when we open it, so I would suggest some additional troubleshooting steps first:

As there are two versions of the app that can differ slightly (and possibly bug out in different ways), you can try installing the alternative version to see if that makes a difference.

The first version can be downloaded from our website. The second one is downloaded from the Microsoft app store and is optimized for Windows use.

If neither one works, this may be indicating that the issue lies elsewhere, in which case, I'd suggest we start by clearing the host files as well:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click > Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File > Open, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose All Files instead of Text Documents next to the File Name box
    1. You'll see a handful of files, pick hosts and click Open.
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
    1. Examples may look like 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how it goes 🙂

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Vasil. I appreciate the help. I just went through the steps that you listed but there were not any Spotify files inside of the hosts file. I would also like to clarify that I have tried both the Microsoft store client and the Spotify website download. The issue does still persist at this time though.

I have also included the picture I previously tried to link to this reply.

image_2023-01-12_231525906.png
Marked as solution

Hey Vasil. I just wanted to share what I found fixed this issue. It turned out that my WMI was corrupt and not functioning. These were the steps I followed and it fixed my issue.

Click Start, click Run, type wmimgmt.msc, and then click OK.

Right-click WMI Control (Local), and then click Properties.

I saw Win32_Process was a invalid class I follow this step for repair my WMI, and it work

Type "net stop winmgmt" and press Enter

Open a Windows Explorer and locate the path to C:\ windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like RepositoryOLD (right click and choose 'Rename Folder').

restart the computer

Type "net stop winmgmt" and press enter

Type "winmgmt /resetRepository" and restart the computer.

Suggested posts