Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop application Windows doesn't play music

Solved!

Desktop application Windows doesn't play music

Hi, I have some troubles with my desktop application, I uninstall the application because any song were not able to play.

After the installation I realize it was to possible to play music, but only five seconds and after it stop. It's very embarrassing because my only way to listen music it's with my phone, and I would like to listen on my computer.

Screenshot_32.png
Screenshot_31.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @TheeAntoine

maybe this will help!

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day!

~levi

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @TheeAntoine

I would Recommend that you try to download The Spotify Application from the microsoft Store or, if you use Apple from the App-Store.

Hope this helps, have a nice day and good luck.

~Levi

That is the best solution

Ok I think I will do that even I don't like install application of Microsoft store.

I hope someone will have a solution for the true Spotify desktop app.

Ok it's still stopping music at five seconds...

I don't know how to fix that

Marked as solution

Hey @TheeAntoine

maybe this will help!

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day!

~levi

same problem here. could you specify how we go into administrator mode? i find the host file, but can't find the way of going into administrator mode.

haven't been able to play music on my computer for two weeks now, hope spotify won't charge this monthly payment

Thank you very muck it's working !!!!!!

hey @Bastayaa

Hi Right click on the program icon before double clicking it. then choose run as admin.

Hope this answers your question! have a nice day.

~levi

it didn't work for me, no spotify lines.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out! We'll happily help you sort this one out 🙂

In this post we'll gather everything that's been discussed so far, so that it's easily accessible for everyone experiencing this. 

As a first step you should perform a clean reinstall. This usually solves such issues. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this here. If that doesn't fix things, you should check your hosts file for Spotify entries and remove them. This page explains how to do this on Windows and the steps for Mac are listed bellow:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If the issue persists, could you get back to us with the model and OS of any devices you are experiencing this on? You should also include your Spotify version.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Have a nice day.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts