NEXT STEP

Desktop shortcut without icon

Solved!

Desktop shortcut without icon

Plan: Free

Device: Desktop PC

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 1809

My Question or Issue:

After dragging and dropping the Spotify icon from the Start Menu to the Desktop, the proper shortcut is created but with no icon. It is shown with the default Windows placeholder:

Annotation 2019-04-16 224434.jpg

Is there any procedure I should follow in order to fix this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have found a work-around. Honestly, this should not be necessary. Development team should be aware of this issue.

Steps:

1. Press [Windows] + [X] and select [Command Prompt (Admin)]
  2. Input cd "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"
  3. Input dir . This should list everything in that folder. Try to find something similar to "SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_XXX".
  4. Input cd <name of the folder you found in the step above> . Tip: you can type the first part of it and press Tab, which will autocomplete the name if there is only one possibility of autocompletion.
  5. Now, with your cursor, select all the path you are in without the final ">" and right-click it. It chould copy the selected part.
  6. Right-click the shortcut without icon and go to Properties. Go to the "Shortcut" tab and click on "Change icon...".
  7. Delete the text on the bar next to the "Browse..." button. Paste there what you copied and add    \Spotify.exe . Hit [Enter].
  8. The icon should appear and you can select and done!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey @Juxuanu! Welcome to the Spotify Community. ^^

That's odd.

Have you tried restarting your computer? And you can also create a new shortcut in your Spotify files folder and paste it on your desktop. ^^

Peace

Yes, I have restarted several times my computer. This issue has been happening for months now.

The thing is that Spotify is installed through Windows Store, so I can not access the installation folder as I would do thourgh a conventional installation.

Marked as solution

I have found a work-around. Honestly, this should not be necessary. Development team should be aware of this issue.

Steps:

1. Press [Windows] + [X] and select [Command Prompt (Admin)]
  2. Input cd "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"
  3. Input dir . This should list everything in that folder. Try to find something similar to "SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_XXX".
  4. Input cd <name of the folder you found in the step above> . Tip: you can type the first part of it and press Tab, which will autocomplete the name if there is only one possibility of autocompletion.
  5. Now, with your cursor, select all the path you are in without the final ">" and right-click it. It chould copy the selected part.
  6. Right-click the shortcut without icon and go to Properties. Go to the "Shortcut" tab and click on "Change icon...".
  7. Delete the text on the bar next to the "Browse..." button. Paste there what you copied and add    \Spotify.exe . Hit [Enter].
  8. The icon should appear and you can select and done!

Suggested posts