Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover Weekly] Track length missing for past few months

[Discover Weekly] Track length missing for past few months

Every other playlist I manually create or follow seems to have track length as the right hand column, but Discover Weekly doesn't. This seems to have changed during an app update, I think. Is there any way to bring that column back for Discover Weekly? It's the single place I really want to see it!

10 Replies

Hey @VMax

That's weird!

Last time I nibbled on the desktop client, I had song lengths where they should be, so my suggestion is reinstalling your Spotify app. : )

Please follow this article on how to!

Let me know if the problem is still present, and I'll find something else for you. : )

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Sebasty, thanks for your reply. I've tried uninstalling the desktop app and reinstalling it, and also uninstalling the desktop app and installing the Windows 10 Store app, but both have the same problem, I'm afraid. I've attached a screenshot to show the issue, the top half is a view of the Discover Weekly playlist and the only change before the lower image was to click on a different playlist, where you can see the track length column appear.

I have the same issue on another machine, and I do believe it was an app update that changed the behaviour as the DW track length column went away on my main workstation but not on that secondary machine at first - only after running the app for a while, then closing it, then having it install an update on the next start.

@VMax

Alright, that's really weird! I don't see why one shouldn't have song lengths visible there.

Just to be sure, it's possible to perform a 'clean reinstall' which also removes any Spotify files/folders left behind. Those files may sometimes cause issues.
It's for the desktop client (not Windows Store app).

It goes like this:

1. Uninstall Spotify through Control Panel.
2. Go to %appdata%. You'll find yourself in Roaming. Delete any Spotify folders in there, and go to Local to do the same there too.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Install Spotify.

It's weird that the Windows Store app is doing the same thing...
Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star

Hi again Sebasty, still the same issue I'm afraid - the uninstaller cleaned up its own files from the user folder, so they weren't there to remove, but after a reboot and reinstall, the track lengths were still missing. The same issue occurs on a machine that has never had Spotify installed. It really looks like an app issue to me, but obviously if nobody else has this problem then it can't be.

On additional observation is that it's not just the Discover Weekly playlist, but also the other auto-generated Your Daily Mix playlists.

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. Nothing helped yet. Any news on this?

I also have this issue on my Discover Weekly and all Daily Mix playlists. Any playlists I create myself display the track length. 

Yes, this is very annoying.  Why would Spotify remove this column?  I used it to get an idea of how much time was left in the playlist.  Please bring back the track length column!

I thought I had this issue too - then discovered that Spotify showing track length or not depends on how wide you have the app window set!

I usually have Spotify open on an old 19" 1280x1024px screen and on there the track length column isn't visible and there is no way to scroll sideways to see it. But if I move the app to my main 27" 4k monitor and then widen the app window, suddenly it appears.

Not at all obvious and really crappy UI design! Hope that helps the rest of you.

I see similar behaviour on most playlists - if I resize the app window (Windows Store version, right sidebar disabled and left sidebar shrunk to minimum) I gain/lose the track time column around 1070 pixels. This only applies to user-created playlists though - on the auto-generated Discover Weekly and Your Daily Mix playlists, the track length never appears, no matter how wide you set the window. I've tried up to 5760 pixels across three 1920x1080 displays without success, the window just gains more and more unused grey space either side of the first/last column. All I can really think of at this point is that it's a specific design decision, but the logic behind making that decision is not at all clear!

Hey @VMax and others!

There's an Issue thread about this. More information is needed, so please head over here and let them know you're having this issue 🙂

Track length is still missing for me, I can only see them when I play the playlist and head over to Queue. Resizing didn't help me.

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts