Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Duplicate Albums appearing and removing functionality.

Duplicate Albums appearing and removing functionality.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

(Acer Aspire 5, Oneplus 3T, iPad 4th Gen)

Operating System

(Windows 10 Home, Android Oxygen OS, IOS 10.3.3)

My Question or Issue

Over the past year of using Spotify I have encountered the same issue that seems to crop up at least twice a week despite several clean installs, use on new devices, and attempts to find the source of the problem.

Essentially entire albums are seemingly duplicated every so often, replacing the old copy in the artist's page, but leaving the original copy of the album in the saved library. For example, a recent example I found today was the replacement of the Hotel Allan (2016) album, wherein I had saved almost the entire album to my Spotify library, however upon checking the page for Allan Rayman the entire album appears as unsaved. This causes a problem as if I then 're-add' these songs back into my library they appear as duplicates despite sharing the same details.

This isn't limited to just one artist, I find myself routinely 'refreshing' my library with the new versions of tracks while removing the old identical ones purely so the new ones don't appear in my suggestions as 'new' tracks and when I visit an artist page I can see what I have saved already.

Attached is some screenshots of the Hotel Allan album appearing as a different unsaved album.

Here the majority of the album in saved in the library.Here the majority of the album in saved in the library.

The album as it appears on the artist's page.The album as it appears on the artist's page.

The resulting duplicate track when adding "Tennessee" from the 'new' album to the saved library.The resulting duplicate track when adding "Tennessee" from the 'new' album to the saved library.

The duplicate album now in my library...The duplicate album now in my library...

...with only the one song in it. :(...with only the one song in it. 😞

I've noticed quite a few people have posted about this issue over the past 2 years, however each time the issue does not appear to be solved by a clean install nor could I find any work-a-rounds or solutions.

Thanks for any help,

Olly

3 Replies

Hello @Ollyjm!

There was recently an ongoing issue that was investigated regarding this. It was unfortunately closed with "Not right now".

You can find it here.

Hope this helps 🙂

@AeroZ thanks for the reply, shame about it taking so long to address but I'll follow that thread now. Cheers

I have often encountered the same issues, I noticed especially if you sync those albums for offline play, they may get duplicated/ replaced which leads to that album syncing again and leaving your original identical album unplayable and requiring deletion, VERY annoying!

Suggested posts