Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error Code: 18 Please Help

Solved!

Error Code: 18 Please Help

I listen to spotify constantly and need help.  I have uninstalled for a clean re-installation, but while i downloaded the installer, it gives me error 18: "The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use  by another process.  Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry.

Im running windows 8 and NEED help.  if i could get some asap, that would be great

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Have you tried restarting your computer and then trying again? 

You might also want to try the full installer to see if that helps. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

42 Replies
Marked as solution

Have you tried restarting your computer and then trying again? 

You might also want to try the full installer to see if that helps. 

Peter

Peter

I am also having this problem, Here's the story, Windows 8 - Beta version (Cba buying full ATM)

Worked until about a week ago.

Tried uninstalling spotify and re-installing

Re-installing it comes up with Error code 18, I'm sure you get the gist of the message now as it seems to be a major win 8 problem..

So I go into %appdata%/Local/ and try to delete spotify folder

Deletes majority of the folder, apart from Spotify Launcher, Spotify, browser, storage and user, they are apparently running somewhere.. 

So I tried going into task manager, and noticed that in "Details" it was saying that spotify was still running, (Even though I uninstalled it 2 days prior) So I tried "End Process" And this message appeared "Access Denied" Nothing more nothing less. I have tried to block it through windows defender and then restarting, and then unblocking and restarting. No such luck. I have got as far as my knowledge will let me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, And I will reward you in virtual love ❤️

DJCrossingFade, That is the exact thing I am getting and tried like you.  WE NEED HELP!!!  I am not able to access it for one day and its killing me hahaha.

Since this appears to be a Windows 8 issue, have you tried all of the posts outlined in this stickey?

Peter

Peter

I use Windows 8, and could not reinstall Spotify. Error Code 18, just like many other people.

I solved the problem by first uninstalling iTunes! After that make sure Spotify is completely uninstalled. Than you can reinstall Spotify. That really works.

Unfortunately Spotify still freezes during playing online music on my Laptop. On the PC it works without any problem. I am still looking for a solution for the problem on my Laptop.

The problem is that it's not just windows 8 it's also for me and i got windows 7 .. please email me or something if u find the solution. [Snip]@hotmail.com

Super User Edit: Removing email address

Are you getting the same error codes as above? Have you tried disabling your anti-virus temporarily to install Spotify?

I have also removed your email address from your post, best not to post those details here in the public eye.

Peter

Peter

Recently my fiance and I have been having the same error (Error 18) as well as other error messages, telling us we needed to be under the Administrative account, when we only have one sign in/account on our Gateway laptop. We are Premium users and have not been able to use our spotify for days, I cant uninstall it fully because it gives me some sort of  "already running/close spotify first" error, and I cant install due to error 18...this is very frustrating and your prompt assistance would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have tried many ways to get around this i.e. turning off firewalls manually deleting all files of spotify as well as running our virus cleaner and also trying to change our windows access allowance settings, nothing works please help!

@Ljsmommy11 wrote:

Recently my fiance and I have been having the same error (Error 18) as well as other error messages, telling us we needed to be under the Administrative account, when we only have one sign in/account on our Gateway laptop. We are Premium users and have not been able to use our spotify for days, I cant uninstall it fully because it gives me some sort of  "already running/close spotify first" error, and I cant install due to error 18...this is very frustrating and your prompt assistance would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have tried many ways to get around this i.e. turning off firewalls manually deleting all files of spotify as well as running our virus cleaner and also trying to change our windows access allowance settings, nothing works please help!

What version of Windows are you using? 

Peter

Peter

I too have unistalled Spotify, but it will not completely uninstall.  Tried to reinstall and get message Error 18   I also have an error box that I can not close off my screen and thus can not install anything into this uninstall is completed.   I says unable to apply ruel: ;light,down' on bitmap 'MainlistheaderBg'.     I need help in worse way as i need to install for a class I am takingl

Hi

I started my pc on safe mode and went in to Local disc C - User - yourself - Appdata - remove the spotify map. All you have to do is reboot and install/reinstall spotify, no more bull**bleep**.

im going to link on a "how to go on safe mode windows 8/8.1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQQyppDEaTA

Cheers!

I need help! I wanted to install spotify but I can not install it because it tells me that "The installer is unable to install Spotify to write Because the files are in use by another process. Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry." Please I need help

i had this issue earlier tonight  with a little poking around found my windows media player was active somehow and interfeering with my spotify files (assuming the local files on my PC)  anyway try rebooting windows media player  or stopping it in the active programs list

I can't end task, delete files in APP DATA, or even remove app. Really pathetic Spotify, why I even though that it wokrs ?

I'm just like you, any solution please share it.

Hi all,

I had the same problem but on Windows 7. Here I opened up the task manager and went to the "processes" tab. Then i ended all processes relating to spotify, re-downloaded, and it installed fine.

My situation may have been simpler than the problem youre all facing, but it took 30 sec so it might be worth the try. Best of luck.

1. Make sure you deleted every file you can find about Spotify.

2. Open command promt (admin) and type "msconfig"

3. go to services and click on "disable all" in the bottom right corner.

4. reboot

5. Open command promt (admin) and type "msconfig" again.

6. go to services and click on "enable all"

7. reboot

8. install Spotify without any problem

go to task manager then hit "more details" and scroll down to spotify and hit the "end process" button

Suggested posts