Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error Code: 18 Please Help

Solved!

Error Code: 18 Please Help

I listen to spotify constantly and need help.  I have uninstalled for a clean re-installation, but while i downloaded the installer, it gives me error 18: "The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use  by another process.  Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry.

Im running windows 8 and NEED help.  if i could get some asap, that would be great

42 Replies

I love you! 

I have the same issue on Windows 10. It is not possible to remove the folder "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Spotify". It is also not possible to kill the processes that can be found in Task Manager under the Details page. Trying the same in commandline ("taskkill /F /IM Spotify.exe") won't work either: "ERROR: The process "Spotify.exe" with PID 3612 could not be terminated. Reason: There is no running instance of the task.".

Could anyone please suggest a solution that works for this? I can see that this has been an issue for some time..

Mod Edit: To remove UserName from file path. Not a good idea to post this file path public.

wow omg, i had the same problems and i click on the link from peter and it worked haha thanks peter 😛

Oh wow, thanks! The full installer did the job 🙂

I was having the same issue. I had to cut and paste the spotify folder from the roaming folder to the recycle bin, then I could delete it by emptying the recycle bin. At that point I was able to install Spotify successfully using the download off the website.

I thought my issue was solved using the full installer. But next time I restarted Spotify there was a new version to install, and the installation failed with error code 18. Now it's not possible to remove the Spotify folder etc.. Back to where it all started. And it didn't work with the suggested solution above, to cut the Spotify folder into the Recycle Bin.

I searched the Spotify homepage to find where to file a report, but I didn't find it. I someone know, please give the link. Thanks.

thank you so much man! music for life! ❤️

i've gotten this a few times on windows 10, if i run as admin it opens so try that

thank you it worked 🙂

the latest installer locks files and does not allow the new version to save or write over.. 

running windows 10 

Having the same issue, and disabling all your msconfig options is a terrible idea. Don't do that.

Running Win 10 and some genius made it so that the previous version of Spotify can't be overwritten and is thus locked. As this is an issue that seems to be affecting quite a few people, Spotify should be made aware of it. Full installer doesn't do anything, because it can't remove the previous instance. Rebooting in safemode and deleting the Spotify folder from your AppData>Roaming is the only way you should fix it, and even then that's a bunch of work to do for what shouldn't've been an issue in the first place.

its happenings to me too on windows 10

I noticed this problem too. To fix this, start task manager, then end all itunes processes running in the background. Also make sure spotify isnt running in the processes. Install spotify again and enjoy.

Thank you!

It's working!! I've got windows 10. I had the same problem and i followed your advice on uninstalling Itunes.

I have no idea how or why itunes effects using Spotify, but at least its working.

THANK YOOOOOU! I've had problems for weeks. This worked! The link you put out ❤️ Hugs from Norway

Now a day later it's back to the problem, and what fixed it, does not work anymore 😞

Hey Man,

It worked for me. Many many thx!!!

Full installation did the trick for me. Thanks a lot.

Does turning computer on and off really fix this problem??

Suggested posts