Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Cant log in from my PC after have done a fresh install of windows. It shows me (pic) and ive tried looking on youtube and google around. nothing works so far, tried with different countries and changing firewall settings but with no results. Sonos works and from my phone on the network. 

2020-07-04 at 13-09-51.png
10 Replies

Hey there @Neraz!

Thanks for reaching out to us on the Community about this.

This error message could be caused by a few things, so we can suggest quite a few steps to try in this case:

• Thoroughly reinstall the app with these steps.
  • Remove ALL entries from the Windows hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • Run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking - if the app works with no issues there, we'd suggest adjusting different network settings and uninstalling any software that might be conflicting with Spotify's connectivity.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'll be on the lookout for your update, let us know exactly what you've tried if your issue persist, so that we could get a better understanding of the issue and suggest some other troubleshooting steps.

Give us a shout if you have any further questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

In case anyone is experiencing same problem on Ubuntu (in my case ver 20.*), if you have installed spotify via snaps, then there might be a need of extra permission in snap settings.

• Go to "Ubuntu software"
  • Find Spotify app
  • Press Permissions
  • Check "Access the NetworkManager service read and change network settings" (hopefully nothing shady here from spotify)
  • Should be OK now

muchrebel_1-1601890950409.png

If you're running Linux, this is probably the solution. Thanks.

It would be helpful if everyone from Spotify didn't reply with the same pre formatted response to this. Others have said it doesn't work, get it together Spotify and actually fix the problem!

Hey @jasonj3512!

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

This error code can be caused a few different factors that have to do with each individual user's set up and this is why we offer some beginning troubleshooting steps.

Can you let us know what steps you have tried so far to solve this so that we'll be able to suggest what to do next?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem with the Windows client.
The client worked fine until the power went out in my apartment, and I restarted my machine afterwards.

I've already:

1) Done a clean reinstall of the Spotify client
2) Checked my firewall and network settings, which are unchanged from what they were when the app worked for months.

Is it possible that the sudden disconnection broke something with my account? The Android client works fine from my through the same broadband connection which makes me doubt that, but I guess it's a possibility.

Replying to my own comment to point out I did more testing. I have VirtualBox installed on the machine, and Spotify works fine in a Windows 7 virtual machine that's networked through the same firewall.

I've now been able to log in with the Windows client I was originally talking about, and I'm not getting the error 39 anymore, but it still shows up as being offline even though it's not in offline mode.

All this points at the problem being with the Spotify installation, but I've already done a clean install following your own guilde, including deleting the Spotify folder under %AppData% etc.

Alright, the problem was solved for me. Looks like the cause was a Windows 10 glitch combined with how the Spotify client checks for an active Internet connection.

For whatever reason Windows didn't detect that the network connection was up, even though it had access to the Internet. I didn't think to check for that, since everything Internet-related worked just fine. Eventually I noticed that the Internet connection status tray icon indicated "no connection".

Apparently Spotify doesn't check for an active connection by pinging a server, but trusts Windows instead. So I disabled the connection and enabled it again, Windows recognized the Internet connection, and then so did Spotify.

The client in the virtual machine obviously worked earlier because that Windows did its own connection check and that one worked.

Well, that was a dumb problem...

Hey there @Woosnam,

Thank you for your post and confirmation.

We're really glad to hear that everything works fine for you again 🙂

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Windows recognized the Internet connection...
so am I, but I don't know how to do it?

Suggested posts