Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Error code auth:2 when login in Windows 10 Spotify Desktop App

Error code auth:2 when login in Windows 10 Spotify Desktop App

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Dell Latitude 5510

Operating System

Windows10

My Question or Issue

Everything worked fine on the spotify desktop app UNTILL I activated my VPN and jumped around different locations. This totally broke my desktop app. I reset my password, I can login to my account via browser and android smartphone app, no issues there, but still can't login from the windows desktop app.

I tried all of the suggestions from the following thread and more:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Error-Code-2-attempting-to-login/td-p/4673760

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Error-code-auth-2-when-login-in-Windows-10-Spotify-...

- clean reinstall of desktop app

- clearing DNS cache

- logging in with deactivated VPN, different locations

- checked host file in windows\sys32\...

- reset password again

Actually all these "solutions" don't make much sense since everything worked fine just untill I activated my VPN. It looks to me like my account somehow got "flagged" due to security concerns and the desktop access is still kind of "blocked".

So I'd really like someone from spotiy to look into my account ... but how can I contact spotify support?

3 Replies

Hi there @Berioldir,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and kudos for the extensive troubleshooting 👍

In general, the use of VPN with Spotify is not recommended. Still, something else you can try here is changing the Proxy type to No proxy + restarting the app. You can do this by selecting Settings on the login screen.

proxy1.pngproxy2.png

It's also worth connecting your laptop to a different Wi-Fi network to see if that does the trick. You can create a mobile hotspot from your phone, for example. Another thing to check is if Spotify is allowed through your firewall and if the following ports are open:

Spoiler

You can also temporarily disable your firewall to see if you'd be able to log in then.

More info on the different channels you can reach out to can be found in this article.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes 🤘

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

- NO proxy + restart: login error auth:2

- Different Wi-Fi: login error auth:2

- Firewall: just the Windows Firewall. Spotify is allowed on public and private network. Temporarily deactivated: login error auth:2

- reset password again: login error auth:2

As already mentioned, everything worked great until ONCE using a VPN. Why would any ports be closed since it worked perfectly until then?

Hi again @Berioldir,

Thanks for trying 👍

Could you try restarting your PC in Safe Mode with Networking to see if the issue persists there? You'll find a detailed guide on how to do that here.

Another thing you can do is choose an alternative login method: you can link your Spotify account to Facebook or Google to see if you'd be able to log in then.

Keep us posted on this.

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts