Firewall blocking spotify Error Code auth:16

Solved!

Firewall blocking spotify Error Code auth:16

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Windows 10 pc, AMD Build (Ryzen 5 5600x, Radeon 580)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I recently realised that I couldn't use the desktop app of Spotify anymore. Nothing was loading properly. I tried to reinstall the application. After I did, I had to log in again, and as soon as I tried, I received following Error message:

franzderpalme_0-1645638265008.png

The message is saying that it may be that the Firewall is blocking Spotify and I should enable it in the Firewall and check my Proxy Configuration. I checked my Firewall, every Spotify-Rule was enabled and I haven't changed anything recently. I tried to change my Spotify-Proxy-Configuration to automatic and no proxy but neither of those helped either. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello everyone,

after some testing I found out, that it was my Anti Virus Programm, that was blocking Spotify. I am using Kaspersky. If I turn it off, I can use Spotify properly, as soon as I turn it back on, I am having the same Problem. I started a Thread in the Kaspersky Community Forum, as it seems I am not the only one who is having this issue. 

Thank you all for your suggestions.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Have you tried selecting the "No Proxy" option from the proxy settings?

Hey @franzderpalme,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you try disabling the firewall completely. Also, make sure no VPN is enabled.

If Spotify works when the firewall/VPN is disabled, you'll need  to either contact the Firewall support for help on the proper settings to allow Spotify traffic through or disable the VPN. Spotify doesn't support the use of VPN and we can't guarantee the app will work properly when using one.

Hope this info helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Hello everyone,

after some testing I found out, that it was my Anti Virus Programm, that was blocking Spotify. I am using Kaspersky. If I turn it off, I can use Spotify properly, as soon as I turn it back on, I am having the same Problem. I started a Thread in the Kaspersky Community Forum, as it seems I am not the only one who is having this issue. 

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Hey @franzderpalme,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

It's great that you've found the cause for the issue and it's good that you've addressed it in the forum of your antivirus software.

Meanwhile, you can also take a look at the settings of your antivirus app and find if there is a way to allow the normal functioning of Spotify (i.e. to put it in a list of app-exceptions, that need not be blocked by Kaspersky) while the firewall protection and monitoring is still up, so there is no vulnerability for your system.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator

Hello Kiki,

I tried all the above including turning off my firewall and am still getting the error message that my firewall is blocking. How can it be blocking when it's off? I do not use a VPN or virus blocker. I have Mac OS. Please advise.

Hey @Travellur

Thank you for joining the conversation.

If you've tried all the above and the issue persists, it's possible that your Mac has some damaged cache stored from previous updates. In this case, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article.

In case the issue persists after this process, include the model and OS version of your device in your next response, along with the Spotify version you're currently running, to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Hello Oscar,

Yes, I’ve tried everything including reinstalling the Spotify app three times.
I’m running Mac OS Monterey version 12.6.6 - I dont know which version of Spotify I have because I cant login to check. But, as I’ve just reinstalled it three times, I’m guessing it’s the latest version. By the way, the mobile app is working fine on my phone and my Spotify duet partner is not having any problem.

Cheers,

Coco

Suggested posts