Flac Support

Solved!

Flac Support

LaoTzu
Casual Listener

will spotify be upgrading to flac support soon? and streaming in flac for higher quality music? if so spotify would be a leader in sound quality and would set it apart from other competitors. please consider this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Flac Support

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Unfortunately, we don't currently support streaming at flac format quality. You can find more info about the audio quality options for Free or Premium users in this support site article.

However, this is something other Spotify users have mentioned they'd like to see as well. In this case, we'd recommend heading over to this idea here and adding your +VOTE and feedback in a comment to contribute to the discussion.

If you're interested to find out more details about how your feedback reaches Spotify or ideas get implemented, we'd recommend checking this Spotify Answer

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day :)

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain
211 Replies

user-removed
Not applicable

99,9% of users can not hear diffirence when compare Spotify's 320 kbps OGG and FLAC/CD.

I do not believe that Spotify provide FLAC in future.

LaoTzu
Casual Listener

working as a producer flac doesnt compress anything sceintifically youll hear more high end and no loss of quality straight from studio to the record produced.  with mp3 youll get a compressed product from the studio as mp3 has to compensate for the audio information lost from the studio to the song produced. there will be a massive difference in sound quality once the door is open to companies such as spotify making it happen and producers mixing in a higher bit rate. as a producer and as alot of freinds being producers we know we can produce a higher quality of sound because of flac. so it would be foolish to ignore it.

user-removed
Not applicable

Spotify does not use MP3. Only OGG from lossless format. The quality is like CD for me. I'm not a hifi man, but to me even Spotify's 160 kbps OGG is good. I know, this FLAC sound may be useful for audiophiles, but then Spotify should take more money from those people - because more saerver costs etc.

LaoTzu
Casual Listener

check this out for the raw data and facts http://flac.sourceforge.net/comparison.html

skum-cat

I got a High-end sound system (Gamut DAC, tube-amp and scanspeak homemade speaker), and i can only hear a very little bit different against the CD and FLAC format. It's was off course a blind test, and i heared the track 5 times each. 

schizoform

I don't see a big benefit for streaming. But playing back your FLAC local files is a big plus. Look, it doesn't really matter whether or not you can hear the difference. What matters more is that transcoding causes progressive degradation in sound: if you care about fidelity, you want to keep your master copy lossless. In any case, the fact is that FLAC is not that rare -- it's supported by most major media players but NOT Spotify, and for many of us, that's a liability.

Halgeir

I like to add that I don't buy music from Spotify (or other online music stores) because it's not in Flac format. On my stereo I hear the difference between flac and high quality ogg/mp3 mainly in the lower og higher regions in the sound. So my only choice is the cd, dvd or lp when I need high quality music on a media. But the streamingservice of Spotify is great to listen to new music and replaces the radio. The streaming quality is also good.

Guancheitor
"Re: Flac Support
 [ New ]

99,9% of users can not hear diffirence when compare Spotify's 320 kbps OGG and FLAC/CD."

Absolutely false. 100% of people can differentiate between a flacor mpr3  file if you listen with Hi End equipment

A cheapest player is another.

connect your pc to a quality dac with a quality amplifier and speakers and hear the quality difference

Sorry for my bad english

Halgeir

@Guancheitor wrote:
"Re: Flac Support
 [ New ]

99,9% of users can not hear diffirence when compare Spotify's 320 kbps OGG and FLAC/CD."

Absolutely false. 100% of people can differentiate between a flacor mpr3  file if you listen with Hi End equipment

A cheapest player is another.

connect your pc to a quality dac with a quality amplifier and speakers and hear the quality difference

Sorry for my bad english

I agree. I have the same experience.

)-|algeir

SUGGESTED POSTS