Going from playlist to album makes the desktop app stop playing anything at all

Going from playlist to album makes the desktop app stop playing anything at all

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Operating System

Windows 10

On my Spotify desktop app, I can go from one of my playlists to another with no problem. But at least once a day, usually twice, I'll start playing an album while a playlist of mine is already going, and the player just freezes up and stops completely. Then I can't even get the app to start again unless I essentially reinstall the app, which isn't usually a full-on reinstall but just firing up SpotifySetup.exe real quick. I've done a full reinstall before, uninstalling the app and deleting the folders and then just downloading it again, but to no avail. Recently I didn't reinstall it but just left it alone for like 3 or 4 minutes, opened it up again, working with no problem, so maybe this isn't that big of an issue.

But man, it happens every single day and it is incredibly irritating. Every time I think I figure out what's making it crash, whatever loophole I found will backfire on me literally the next day, or even the same day. Most recently, earlier today actually, I figured I should stop turning shuffle off before I start playing the album, and just manually click on the first track while still on shuffle, then turn it off. Thought that worked, but then later today the same exact thing happened when I tried doing that.

Probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of technical difficulties, but is there any way I can, like... not have this happen again? I can definitely live without it lol

1 Reply

Hey there @sosa_batman,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you confirm if you followed these exact steps since that will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you did and you still experience this - can you try the following:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts