Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to sort my playlists alphabetically on desktop?

How to sort my playlists alphabetically on desktop?

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

How to sort my playlists alphabetically on desktop? In the mobile app they are alphabetically sorted automatically, so they should be able to sort the same way on the desktop version, right? but how?

60 Replies

For the love of all that is holy, Spotify, WE NEED OUR PLAYLISTS ARRANGED ALPHABETICALLY!  We have to use desktop version b/c it is easier to place playlists into folders and organize our stuff!!! Get this fixed PLEASE!

Manually creating folders to manually save your playlists is what Spotify suggests and it is actually possible. That`s what we don`t want, especially if you have a hundred++ playlists.

We rather want an automatic ordering playlists alphabetically and that`s what Spotify has not been providing for the last xx years.

In the meantime use your tablets and phones (Android and Apple) as a controller and there you can switch to alphabetical order.
And mention the problem in twitter or FaceBook. I can`t do it myself, as I refuse to use either one.

This is really bad. The programmers must really be STUPID. 

Version 1.1.34.694.gac68a2b3 has an option to sort.

Version 1.1.34.694.gac68a2b3-a is a complete jumble.

I am going to see if I can remove Version 1.1.34.694.gac68a2b3-a from my PC and install my daughters Version 1.1.34.694.gac68a2b3

It looks to me like these guys must have a high programming staff turnover and F....all version control or documentation. That is the only reason why their programming is so poor and haphazard. These are easy issues to fix if you have basic version control.

It's one thing that they do not bring new features like this basic sort thing. 

I even want to say that this desktop app is getting less and less functionalities as the years goes by. 

It's been 10 years that I'm a paying user. And I've never seen a new feature, never.

It's even worse, they are removing stuff...

A few examples : - There was an integrated similar "appstore" where one could install plugin developped by the community. 

- There was a messaging system where one could send a message or a song to a spotify friend inside the app. Imagine that if I want to share one title with a spotify friend I now have to pick up my phone, open the mobile app, look for the title and send it thought Whatsapp !!!

Anyway, all this to say that this desktop is getting towards less and less and not more and more. So just forget about sorting your playlists anytime soon... (I don't even talk about tracks that change IDs, and then your playlists becomes empty...)

Spotify's UI is not great at all. It seems that they don't take user feedback seriously enough to make simple and important changes to be made. I'm trying out Apple Music.

I'm a user experience designer and the answer provided by Spotify is NOT a true solution to the users's problem. I hate hate hate hate that my playlists are in a random order and it makes adding songs a tedious nightmare of scanning an entire list for the one thing I'm looking for. I don't think this reply should even be marked as a proper solution. Fix your product, Spotify. This us UX 101. 

Sorting manually is a poor solution for those of us with >100 playlists. As a new subscriber who imported my playlists from another service, I'm disappointed to see them all out of order. Please implement playlist sorting.

Are you kidding me? this is the solution?

THIS WAS NOT SOLVED AT ALL!

To sort it in the desktop version:
1. Go to your playlist page.
2. If you want to sort the playlist alphabetically by title, click on "Title" above the list. Whether it's in an ascending or descending order, click it again until you got what you want.
3. if you want to sort the playlist by artist, click on artists and do the same thing that you did on sorting it by title.

If you need to sort it by title, just click on "Title" above the lists of songs on your playlist page. Whether it's in an ascending or descending order,  click until you get  the preferred order. For sorting by artist, click "Artist" and do the same thing as you did in sorting by title. Spotify didn't missed this out. The desktop UI is not just "THAT" intuitive and the UI designers should take note of this. 

1.PNG

@biencarlos1996, thanks for your suggestion, but as established earlier in the thread, the issue is sorting playlists in the list of playlists, not songs within playlists. Obviously sorting within a playlist is easy, but for users like me who have dozens or 100s of playlists, it's super annoying to only be able to sort them manually.

I don't think you can do that but that would be a good idea. 

biencarlos1996 ... my user interface doesn't look like that. I'm using the Spotify app on PC. How or where do you get it to look like that and have those options? 

On desktop Spotify, 

1. Click on your playlist

2. Where it says Title, Artist, Album, Date and Song Length

3. Click on Title 

4. A little arrow should pop up next to title and click it and it should sort your playlist by the title. 

(you can also sort it by artist, album, date and song length)

Annotation 2020-09-08 085809.png

This is about sorting PLAYLISTS, not songs within a PLAYLIST. We
understand that bit already.

Well Jeez, I misunderstood, you don't have to be like that.

I'm not being like anything, I was clarifying the issue.  We appreciate your help, but it's a solution that we are already aware of for individual songs inside a playlist, and not the solution to the problem of the playlists themselves.

Thanks for the feedback but that's not quite the ask. Can you do the same
for the list of playlists - i.e. sort them alphanumerically without having
to click and drag?

I know that, I misunderstood what was asked. I'm not sure how to sort the
playlists. Sorry

LOL - mobile app -> $35 headphones or bluetooth speakers.

Desktop app -> $3,500 worth of DAC/AMP and studio headphones.

I'm not meaning to laugh at your post for which I agree - but at Spotify who are ignoring their desktop solution to their peril.

Suggested posts