Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I have keyboard shortcuts for pausing and skipping music But since this week they don't work anymore

Solved!

I have keyboard shortcuts for pausing and skipping music But since this week they don't work anymore

Plan

Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have keyboard shortcuts for pausing and skipping music.

But since this week they don't work anymore.

I used the keys F5, F6 and F7 for previous next and pausing songs.

I don't know if my Spotify updated.

I already tried reinstalling Spotify but that did not work.

Can anyone please help me?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @MisterHamster,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Try heading to Settings and uncheck the option Show desktop overlay when using media keys. If that doesn't do the trick, check out this thread and try the solutions posted there as they seem to have worked for several users.

Let us know how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Hi there @MisterHamster

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this. 

Would you mind trying these specific keyboard shortcuts to check if they work for you?

If they don't do the trick, we suggest that you run a clean reinstall of the app on your PC. This one is more thorough than a normal one. We also recommend downloading the app again from the Microsoft Store.

Lastly, you can keep the app updated all the time following the steps here

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

I tried all the things you said i needed to try and it still does not work.

Maybe it was a spotify update that caused it?

Hey @MisterHamster,

We've tried using the shortcuts shown in this article and they work properly. Try logging out, restarting your PC, and logging back in. This sounds simple but might be helpful to refresh the app.

If that doesn't make any difference, could you try using a different account, like a friend's or relative's, on your PC and let us know if this behavior persists?

We'd also like to know the Spotify version you're running.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Hallo,

I have tried logging into a new account and restarting my pc but it still does not work.

My Spotify version is : 1.1.53.608.g7ed9c03a (Microsoft Store version)

i also added in to the attachment.

Also it does work when Spotify is selected, but it does not work when another app is selected.

Schermafbeelding 2021-03-02 160444.png

Hi @MisterHamster,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We can confirm that it's expected that the shortcuts only work when the Spotify app is on the foreground, as those keys might have a different functionality in other apps. Also, the keys that we can guarantee will work are the ones in the article sent in the previous replies.

We hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Hi,

But why did it work before than, wouldn't it be the same as before?

And all my friends can still use the shortcuts when in other apps (the same as mine).

Marked as solution

Hey @MisterHamster,

Try heading to Settings and uncheck the option Show desktop overlay when using media keys. If that doesn't do the trick, check out this thread and try the solutions posted there as they seem to have worked for several users.

Let us know how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Hello,

Unchecking Show desktop overlay when using media keys worked for me, thank you very much.

I love you man

Hi @MisterHamster

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help. 

Have a great day 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello! I've been looking on how to remove the desktop overlay, and all things ive found say "Uncheck Show desktop overlay when using media keys" under display in settings, the problem is that the setting isnt even there! I am on the latest version of spotify

Hey there @Toastery,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Could you let us know the exact Spotify version you're running? We'll see what we can suggest.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I am currently on version 1.1.54.592.gc0b20638-a and just reinstalled about 30 minutes ago, I've asked a few people and they said they do have the setting there
also, if this helps at all I installed spotify from https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/download/windows/

I just got an update just a bit ago 1.1.55.498.gf9a83c60-a, still no luck though

Toastery_0-1616539661269.png

Hi again @Toastery,

Thanks for getting back in touch with that info.

We can confirm that you're running the New Desktop Experience, and the option Show desktop overlay when using media keys is not available there.

You can learn more about this New Desktop Experience in this thread. We also encourage you to leave your feedback about it there, as it's constantly being monitored by the right folks and the input left by the users is taken into consideration to keep improving the app and the overall experience.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, we're just a post away.

Take care!

CarlosEModerator

Oh alright, thanks! just wondering, is there a way to swap between the two versions?

Hey @Toastery,

You're always welcome!

We're afraid that it isn't possible. Rest assured, we're always testing new features and improvements for the app. In the meantime, we recommend keeping the app always up to date so you don't miss out on any new fixes and features.

We'll be right here in case you need anything else.

Have a good one 🙂

CarlosEModerator

ah alright, thanks for the help anyways!

Hey @Toastery,

We're always happy to help.

Whenever you need a hand or have any questions or doubts, remember that we're just a post away.

Have a great rest of the week 🎧

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts