Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Impossible To Play A Single Track

Impossible To Play A Single Track

It is now completely impossible to play a single track. It used to be if you right-clicked a song and hit 'Play' it would only play that song (assuming you had an empty queue, a nearly impossible task in itself). Now that option is GONE, the only option double-clicking the track or its play arrow to the side.

THIS QUEUES UP THE ENTIRE SEARCH RESULTS OR THE ALBUM!!!

Congrats, with this update you've taken your already worst-in-the-industry playback and made it worse.

There is LITERALLY NO WAY to delete a single track from the queue or clear the queue entirely, and now there is LITERALLY NO WAY to not create a queue.

Spotify is the absolute literal worst music player I have ever used and the library is the ONLY redeeming feature. I can only pray an alternative gets developed.
35 Replies

It's truly incredible, how Spotify keeps ignoring this simple request... And it's getting worse, recently they added a feature that starts playback of 'similar music' after the playlist is finished. Thankfully, it's still possible to disable it. I totally understand that some people may enjoy just hitting a huge 'PLAY STH' button in order to provide themselves with random ambient noise, but when I click the axiomatic triangle-in-a-circle button by the particular song I STILL (after all those years of spotifying) expect just that single one to be played. Frankly speaking ... bummer. 😞

Very late to this.
I have my own work around that's been working fine with me, however this only applies to android (I'm sure there's a similar technique for iOS).
First of all I want to state how disappointing it is that this feature doesn't exist within the app, there are probably so many plays that aren't legitimate because someone's Spotify playlist has ended and random songs are then queued up. Seems like they just want to boost stats so they can get more artists on board. Whatever.
SOLUTION.
Set up whatever song(s) you want to listen to into a playlist, make sure you download the playlist so you can play in offline. Then in the phone settings>apps block data (and WiFi) to the Spotify app. Go back into Spotify and play your playlist. Don't forget to turn off loop.
Hope this helps.

P.S.
Reading the reply from the staff at the start of this post was laughable. It truly shows how out of touch they are, they can't even understand the issue. Smh.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Playlists seem to be the way they want us to manage their application.  YouTube has autoplay on/off, shouldn't be much harder than shuffle vs. play in order.  But thanks for the work around.  I'll make a playlist called "play this once."

I tried that, making a playlist with just one song. FYI, this is a sleep meditation, so I don't want to have to wake up to press 'stop' when it's done.
I also tried clearing the queue but no matter what I do, another track will start playing after the one I want to listen to. It's quite frustrating that this is not an option, not even for premium members.

Dude. Stop trying to be help full answering questions that you don't know the answer to. It's not helpful and as you can see very annoying. Save it for people who know what they are talking about.

I agree, that first support geezer was a derp. 

Hey Spotify, I'm off to find a different platform to take my money. 

Thanks for all the fish.

@Simonthegriff

Hello there,

You reply to a post started more than 2 years ago. Since this time, things have changed and since several updates, there is in the desktop version a feature named "autoplay".

This feature is made to stop playing anything after the last song in queue is over. So if you start playing a single song, nothing will play after it.

Just go to "Preferences" and untoggle "Autoplay".

Enjoy your listening 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Weren't we talking about playing a single song out of some playlist or
album? Which still isn't possible?

@Istarish

Hello there,

By definition, single means alone. Any song part of a playlist or an album is not a single song.

When you play a song on a physical support (vnyl or CD), unless the song is the last one of an album, you still have to press Stop (CD) or lift the needle (vinyl) to stop playing after one song.

So, in Spotify it's the same and you need a move to listen one song from a playlist or an album. When you start a playlist or an album, all the songs, coming after the one you are starting, are queued and will play one after one or in a random order is the feature is selected.

-  if you want listen only one song from a playlist or an album, start playing the song you want, open the queue and select and delete all the songs in the section "Next Up". Playing will stop after the Now Playing song

- If the only song you want listen is the last one of a playlist, you have nothing to do. Playing will stop at the end of the song and queue will be empty.

- If the song you want play is the last one of an album, be sure to play it from the album page. Queue will be also empty at the end of the song.

BUT

- If you play the last song of an album from the artist page, you will get all the next albums on the page in the queue and you will  have to select and delete all the Next Up section.

Note : in preferences, Autoplay must be untoggled (not green)

Enjoy your listening 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Justifying the lack of a simple button that plays one tune or podcast by
likening it to vinyl or a CD is not helpful. This is a Spotify.

If it is just going to sleep and not having continuous play that is your
issue.
SPOTIFY SLEEP TIMER is free on the play store.

I totally agree with Simonthegriff. Why wouldn't the biggest music streaming service provide that trivial functionality of "play JUST this track" context menu option? Would  that somehow endanger Spotify's business model? It's just a matter of convenience, obviously trivial from the software developer's perspective. Tough luck though...

I'm new new to Spotify premium and I already search for an alternative (google play music?). Engineering-wise is quite easy to add this option. I'm pretty sure that something more "important" than satisfied customers defines the policy of the company (profit, commercial ..... you name it). It's a shame, Spotify.

Google Play Music lets you play only one song when you select it and doesn't add all the other songs to your queue. It would be nice if Spotify did the same.

Edit: Apparently this works with Spotify too, but only when you're searching for a single song. If you select the song from your playlist or album, all the songs will be added to your queue.

We should give up on this, it's obvious by now that Spotify doesn't give a s**t.

Actually I tested it on Spotify and you CAN listen to a single song if you search for it and it's the only result. Otherwise clicking on a song within a playlist or album will add all the songs to the queue.

The only workaround i know and use: 
Rightclick the Song -> New Playlist
And then Play the new "One-Song-Playlist".

Suggested posts