Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is Spotify a malware or no?

Solved!

Is Spotify a malware or no?

When I installed Spotify, I checked if it was a virus, and... there are too many posts saying Spotify is a virus, Spotify contains adwares...

So I need to know: is Spotify a virus or no? VirusTotal says that Spotify can be a virus (Trojan-GameThief for example). My antivirus (McAfee) does not detect it as malware.

Here is the VirusTotal report: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/2053ec0f8748273d8dda2da04b7dfd5ee35e0645821937ec2a131bf55b4adf20/d...

And please, don't say Avast iz de best AV...

SpotifyMWARE-P1.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @CreatorMan2006

I understand your concern.

You don't have to worry, Spotify is a clean program. I've had Spotify installed for years and ESET has never said anything about it containing malware.

Just make sure you download the installer from Spotify's webpage. Other pages may offer downloads too, but you can never be sure if the file is clean or has been tampered with.

It is still recommended you have a good antivirus program installed (unless you're on unix/linux...) when you're online. McAfee is a nice program.

Hope that helps!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @CreatorMan2006! Thanks for reporting this.

Spotify doesn't contain any malware software, but make sure you only download the app from: spotify.com/download. It sounds like these are false-positives, I've gone ahead and reported this to the right folks. Let me know if there's anything else.

Enjoy and welcome aboard! 🙂

Huib

HuboSpotify Star

No spotify isnt malware its an application

I know but if you type "spotify malware", you'll see many topics about adwares, ransomwares or others malwares, and I don't want one of them.

Marked as solution

Hey @CreatorMan2006

I understand your concern.

You don't have to worry, Spotify is a clean program. I've had Spotify installed for years and ESET has never said anything about it containing malware.

Just make sure you download the installer from Spotify's webpage. Other pages may offer downloads too, but you can never be sure if the file is clean or has been tampered with.

It is still recommended you have a good antivirus program installed (unless you're on unix/linux...) when you're online. McAfee is a nice program.

Hope that helps!

SebastySpotify Star

Hello

I found that those three antiviruses (TrendMicro, CMC and Jiangmin) that spotted Spotify as a malware also spotted others applications I have as malware (suspicious, generic...), so I think that it's effectively a false-positive.

Suggested posts