Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is this the end of support for Windows 7?

Is this the end of support for Windows 7?

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Device

(Laptop DELL Inspiron 15 N5050)

Operating System

(Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit)

My Question or Issue

I'm a user of the Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit operating system. I'm currently using Spotify version 1.2.5.1006.g22820f93. For several days now, after launching the application, I receive a message that I need to update my operating system to be able to use the new Spotify features. Does this mean the end of support for Windows 7 and this operating system won't get any new Spotify updates?

9 Replies

Hello there @Rostov 

It's possible you won't be able to use the new Spotify updates because they require parts of the system that Windows 7 does not have. For instance it's lacking a service or system file that Spotify needs to use, or the service/file is so old it's no longer supported by the app.
I can't tell whether it means you'll have a slightly broken Spotify app with those specific features not functional, it fails to update altogether, or there will simply be no more updates.

Either way, Windows 7 is a very old OS now, so it's not surprising. Win8.1 has been sunset also this year, and that's a newer OS.

Hope this helps, have a lovely day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I see. So how can I remove the OS update pop-up? I don't want to watch it.

@Rostov 

I'm not sure it's avoidable, to be honest.
I've noticed a couple other people running on old operating systems now unable to (re)install Spotify because the OS is no longer supported. So my advice is to not reinstall, unless you have an older full Spotify installer at hand. You should be able to grab one from here.

If all else fails, the Web Player should still works just fine, but it has its own limits - no offline downloads and no ability to choose several tracks at once, among others.

: )

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

To disable the OS update pop-up:

Go to: AppData\Local\Spotify\Browser\Local Storage\leveldb

Delete everything inside of it, it will be re-created when you launch spotify, it should remove the message. If you want, set it to read only aftewards, shouldn't hurt anything to do so or the message will popup again over time.

I don't know what these new "features" are. I use Spotify as an on-demand music service i.e. I want to be able to create playlists of my own choice and listen to them. It's been that way since 2012 but, no, Spotify want to roll out new "features" that they want to force on everyone.

There are a number of reasons why I still use Windows 7, most specifically because Windows 10, which I have on my laptop and don't find it any better, took away my "recent files" on the Start Menu which I have found useful. In fact they took away the old start menu then sort-of put it back but it's still not the same as it was.

Not only that, but my laptop is continually restarting without asking me, and I don't like my computers restarting without asking me first.

I virtually never restart my computer - partly because it takes ages to set everything back to how it was, partly because I'm scared from a long time ago when disk drives suddenly weren't there when I restarted that were working perfectly well before, and partly also maybe scared from a past time when the restart didn't happen and it just went into reboot loops.

Spotify should know their place in the scheme of things: they write software that people want to run on their computers when they choose, and stop running when they don't want to use it. It shouldn't start up with the operating system, shouldn't start playing stuff if you plug a device in, or stop playing if you unplug a device. Shouldn't play on a different device to the one you clicked "play" on, unless you explicitly choose for it to do so, nor change every device to be playing the same thing, because we want to listen to different things on different devices.

And not give the "we want all the songs" nonsense when there are artists whose entire catalogues are on Spotify except one or two songs which weren't featured on albums.

Web player is useless for making playlists, which is what Spotify is for - to listen to what I want to, not what someone else wants me to listen to.

Thank you so much for this tip!

My software was so slow to boot up because of the pop-up loading message and it truely started to stained my overall experience on computer. I did just as explained and now the app opens in no time! Many thanks!

NB. My response is related to the following advice :

To disable the OS update pop-up:

Go to: AppData\Local\Spotify\Browser\Local Storage\leveldb

Delete everything inside of it, it will be re-created when you launch spotify, it should remove the message. If you want, set it to read only aftewards, shouldn't hurt anything to do so or the message will popup again over time.

Tighten-up Sir Spoify. Please consider getting back in your lane 🙂

The software was working great on Windows 7 without your update. Now you are mandating users change their personal computing.

If someone wants to use Windows 7 (because it works)- So what. They don’t tell you to use it- You shouldn’t tell everyone to stop using it.

Sir Spotily, not much to gain treating paying customers as such.

I’d advise fixing this before others learn of the new philosophy Sir Spotify is running its company by. They may stop singing its praises and start shouting a new tune.

Suggested posts