Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

MMDEVAPI popup

MMDEVAPI popup

Last night my Spotify stopped working....it kept giving me an error that if I had the song locally on my computer I could listen to it....then just started to skip to a next song in a playlist repeatedly without playing anything. Then it started giving me a popup in the image below. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times and still getting that popup. Its the only program on my computer giving me it.

badimage.png
14 Replies

Hey @i4-tije8h0_5, welcome to the community!

Could you send us your Windows and Spotify version numbers? Also, have you tried restarting your device after the reinstallation?

Keep us posted.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Sorry for the delay....just saw the notification of the response. I've restarted it several times. I've also tried uninstalling & reinstalling the program (including redownloading it). I can hear sound on YouTube and other sites thru Chrome, but not on any of my video games anymore (the little sound icon in my taskbar is gone too). Spotify is the only program that gives me the popup though. I'm on Windows 8.1 & Spotify version 1.0.83.318.g6c07039d. Just saw there is a updated version to download so going to try that one.

Updated to new version....still getting the same pop up but also now getting this message.

spotify.png

Hey @i4-tije8h0_5.

Thanks for getting back to us with this information!

Just to confirm, is this error banner popping-up for any song you try to play, or specific ones?

Also, let's make sure your audio drivers are fully up to date, as this could be the root of the issue.

Keep us posted.

Checked the drivers for audio through my control panel, had it do an autosearch online for updated drivers, says i'm up to date. And it says that with every song I try to play now.

Alright.

Just to confirm, are you using the Windows Store version of the Spotify app or did you download the installer straight from here?

Please give it a shot with both to see if the issue persists.

All the best.

I'm using the one from the Spotify website. I can't find it on the windows store.

Just found it another way on the Windows store....let me try it.

Edit to add: Windows store website won't let me download it because my computer isnt upgraded to Windows 10 and therefore won't connect my device to the store.

Thanks for all the info!

Does the same banner comes up if you try using your Spotify account on other devices (e.g. mobile)?

If it's only happening on your desktop, try removing the Spotify app, and download this installer instead.

All the best.

Only gives me issues on my laptop...works just fine on my phone. Will try to new install and see if it fixes it.

Removed the install I had, installed from your link, and no more popups. But it wont play any songs. I click the play button and it does nothing.

I can play from the browser page but not the downloaded app. Its weird.

That's odd.

Are you running any antivirus software? If so, try disabling it for a moment to see if you can play music again.

Also, make sure Spotify is set as an exception to your firewall.

Keep us posted.

Checked all of that.....nothing makes any changes. And found its only one of my games not playing sounds since the issue started with my Spotify install.  Rest of my games are playing sound fine.

Suggested posts