Premium

Country

USA

Device

Alienware Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When I updated my Spotify, the option to make playlists public or private completely disappeared from the options menu. I've tried reinstalling Spotify 3 times and even did a full clean reinstall and the problem still persists. I've looked everywhere for a solution but found none, so far. I saw mention that this happened to a few people a few years ago but the reinstallation and clean installations suggested then just didn't help.

UPDATE: I found an older version of Spotify in my files and reinstalled it. The option to make public/private immediately was available again. When I clicked to update to the newest version through the app, however, it disappeared once more so it's definitely a bug with the new update. I also noticed that while the option to make playlists private/public still exists on the mobile app (I use Android on my Pixel 4a) it doesn't actually do anything. I can click to make public but it will not be listed in my public playlists and if I make a playlist private on mobile it won't actually be taken off public viewing.  

spotifyerror.jpg
21 Replies

Hey @djackson111,

Thank you for your reply and feedback in this thread.

If you think this feature will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

@Eni 

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea.

This is certainly not the way I perceive Idea Exchange. The most interesting topics about e.g. usability (which is a weak point for Spotify) are simply ignored or closed with "not enough votes" forcing one to open a new topic (about the same matter). That way it becomes difficult to reach "enough votes".

Even blatant bugs are being ignored. Makes me wonder if your Devs do use apps (both mobile and desktop) yourself. (*)

And I know, I'm in the software business myself, but the way Spotify handles things ... well, it's a mess.

You've got to admit: the Make Private feature was redesigned for the mobile app first, but so many months later (al least 7) it is still not in the desktop app.

And yeah, change logs would be verrrry welcome indeed.

This is in no way meant as a personal "attack", but a way to vent my frustration with Spotify just somewhere.

(*)

1) Some things that comes to mind: the only way to find out if one of your (many) playlist

• is visible on your profile
  • is private
  • is collaborative

is by going into the playlist's context menu. From a usability perspective it would be far better to add an indication next to the playlist name.

2) The entire user experience while adding tracks to playlists is so cumbersome. There are better ways to do that, e.g. look at the way YouTube handles this, you can immediately see in which of your playlists you already added a track before.

3) The entire user experience of deleting the currently playing track from the playlist it is playing from ... cumbersome.

I've seen enough threads/topics with splendid ideas that are simply rejected by Spotify (as if they don't (want to) understand the pain of its users) that I'm getting tired of spending time in this community. And then I read "The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea." ... sorry, that made me laugh and sad at the same time.

Suggested posts